Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pushmatic Breaker panel - no main disconnect

I am working on a Pushmatic breaker panel and there is no main breaker to shut
power off to any of the other breakers. Is there a way to add a main breaker
to panel? Or am I going to have to replace the whole panel that has a main
breaker installed? I have never seen a breaker panel without a main breaker.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ei

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2018 8:44 AM, Handyman 1 wrote:
I am working on a Pushmatic breaker panel and there is no main breaker
to shut
power off to any of the other breakers. Is there a way to add a main
breaker
to panel? Or am I going to have to replace the whole panel that has a main
breaker installed? I have never seen a breaker panel without a main
breaker.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ei

Best to replace the obsolete panel

http://www.fehnelectric.net/time-rep...ctrical-panel/
ITE Pushmatic electrical panels and circuit breakers do not have any
proven design flaws that can cause a fire or shock hazard, but they are
obsolete. Replacement circuit breakers are hard to find and when you
can, they are expensive. The design of these old electrical panels also
makes it impossible to add new circuits and loads to the already limited
spaces in the panel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 8:44:06 AM UTC-4, Handyman 1 wrote:
I am working on a Pushmatic breaker panel and there is no main breaker to shut
power off to any of the other breakers. Is there a way to add a main breaker
to panel? Or am I going to have to replace the whole panel that has a main
breaker installed? I have never seen a breaker panel without a main breaker.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ei

Have you looked between the panel and the meter, including outside,
to make sure there isn't one separate from the panel?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 May 2018 12:44:01 GMT, Handyman 1
m wrote:

I am working on a Pushmatic breaker panel and there is no main breaker to shut
power off to any of the other breakers. Is there a way to add a main breaker
to panel? Or am I going to have to replace the whole panel that has a main
breaker installed? I have never seen a breaker panel without a main breaker.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ei

There WILL bw an external main disconnect SOMEWHERE.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I am working on a Pushmatic breaker panel and there is no main breaker to shut
power off to any of the other breakers. Is there a way to add a main breaker
to panel? Or am I going to have to replace the whole panel that has a main
breaker installed? I have never seen a breaker panel without a main breaker.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ei

There are fewer than 6 (total) disconnects so this is a legal panel.
It is a split bus panel where each 240v load is a service disconnect
and another disconnect for the "split" general lighting bus
disconnect. These were quite popular, dating back before they had
breaker panels and the 240v loads were on fuse "pull outs" with
another pullout for a general lighting bus full of screw in fuses.
If this is still working for you, you can keep it but finding breakers
may be tough if one goes bad.
You can certainly add a service disconnect if you like but that makes
this a sub panel and it will need rewiring (split neutral/ground
buses, 4 wire feeder etc) and by the time you do all of that, you
might as well put in a new service panel, upgrade power etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

om wrote:

I am working on a Pushmatic breaker panel and there is no main breaker to shut
power off to any of the other breakers. Is there a way to add a main breaker
to panel? Or am I going to have to replace the whole panel that has a main
breaker installed? I have never seen a breaker panel without a main breaker.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ei

There WILL bw an external main disconnect SOMEWHERE.

There are 5 that I see, perfectly legal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

m wrote:

[...]

I just saw in ECM Leviton is now making panels.

--
Tekkie