Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ping Cla Tire problems

Tekkie® posted for all of us...

Hi all, I ran over a pipe Thursday cutting the passenger side tires on my
2018 Grand Cherokee with only 2100 some miles. I used Jeep assist to call a
tow co that took 90 minutes to arrive (the guy was really nice and lifted us
into the cab) to take us to a local dealership thinking they would have the
tires in stock. They didn't. We got a loaner and found a room. Next day we
pick it up with the tires replaced by OEM and model on the passenger side
and got on the PA Turnpike. What a miserable ride home. Steering wheel not
centered, swaying, pulling and floor and wheel vibration. Had to slow down
and really pay attention. What is normally a 1-1/2 hr drive took 2++. Looked
at tire pressures 44 on most with 45 on left rear. Specs are 32 front and 36
rear. Obviously they saw victims as we live almost 100 miles away and would
never be back. Paid outrageous prices, I mean sky-high. I expected premium
outcome. I got incompetent techs, like a poster here rants about... Only one
mile was on the car between failure and pickup. Obviously no pre-delivery
check.

My questions are, that I asked the dealer about:

Should all 4 tires have been replaced?

Could the back drivers side tire be moved to the right front?

My analysis (through my foggy brain) is that the new tires are defective.

I have texted the salesperson whom sold us the car and she is working with
us. We arrived home after service was closed. I will be contacting the
installing dealership and my local dealership Monday. The local dealership
is also a dealer for the OEM tires. I want to see what is going to happen..
If I have to get 4 tires they will be Michelin. If they give me a good break
on the price I will get them from the local dealer. If not I will go to
another tire dealer who is always lower in price. If I do not get
satisfaction by the end of the week I will dispute the charges.

I want my old driving experience back. The Jeep was a genuine pleasure to
drive! Now it's like driving an old Ford Falcon with sloppy ball joints and
crappy unbalanced bald bias ply tires.

Any thoughts, suggestions very much appreciated.

The dealer just called. Diagnosis: alignment. My wife has an $80 coupon
which they will honor. They tested it at 80 mph. Will return loaner and pick
up. No damage to any suspension parts. They left the new tires on the right
side because they measured the tread depth and found no difference.

Thanks everyone for their posts.

--
Tekkie