Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drain Valve Type On New House Water Heater ?

Hi Folks,

Have just had a new Bradford White water heater installed for house.
The very typical thing; 40 gal, upright cylinder. Gas fired.

Question: The drain valve on the very bottom is of a kind I've never seen
before.

Rather than the what I had assumed is "typical," this one has the treaded fitting for a hose,
but the top is a rather small, threaded, stem with a slot in it for apparently a screwdriver.

No typical stem with a handle on the top, like "before".

What is this new kind of valve drain valve ?

How does one use it ?
Mutli turn, or,...?

Why did they go to this type; pros and cons of ?

As always, much thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 04:11:54 -0700 (PDT), Robert11
wrote:

Hi Folks,

Have just had a new Bradford White water heater installed for house.
The very typical thing; 40 gal, upright cylinder. Gas fired.

Question: The drain valve on the very bottom is of a kind I've never seen
before.

Rather than the what I had assumed is "typical," this one has the treaded fitting for a hose,
but the top is a rather small, threaded, stem with a slot in it for apparently a screwdriver.

No typical stem with a handle on the top, like "before".

What is this new kind of valve drain valve ?

How does one use it ?
Mutli turn, or,...?

Why did they go to this type; pros and cons of ?

As always, much thanks,
Bob

I have a one year old Rheem water heater that has the same thing. You
can turn it with a screwdriver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/18 7:11 AM, Robert11 wrote:
Hi Folks,

Have just had a new Bradford White water heater installed for house.
The very typical thing; 40 gal, upright cylinder. Gas fired.

Question: The drain valve on the very bottom is of a kind I've never seen
before.

Rather than the what I had assumed is "typical," this one has the treaded fitting for a hose,
but the top is a rather small, threaded, stem with a slot in it for apparently a screwdriver.

No typical stem with a handle on the top, like "before".

What is this new kind of valve drain valve ?

How does one use it ?
Mutli turn, or,...?

Why did they go to this type; pros and cons of ?

As always, much thanks,
Bob

Same on my recently installed new water heater. Maybe the mfr is saving
money by not installing a faucet handle- or discouraging owners from
draining out a few gallons every few months.

--
Nigerian man dies and authorities find 27 billion dollars stacked in his
apartment. He'd been trying to give it away for 15 years- but no one
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 8:05:08 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

My first thought is it's probably a safety improvement, to prevent a child
from finding it and opening it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 08:05:03 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

[...]

Aparently in some places it is a "safety requirement" so kids can't
accidently, while playing around, open the valve and scald themselves.
My 2011 GE has the same.

At least mine is BRASS, unlike the cheap plastic crap on my last one
- - -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

As long as you have "good" water, brass is fine but if you have well
water like mine you should throw that brass one away before you
install the heater and put in a plastic "boiler" valve. Otherwise, in
a year or two it won't be a valve anymore. It will just be a plug.

It does make me wonder why that valve in the water heater is any more
dangerous for kids than the one in the kitchen sink tho. These nanny
state assholes are out of control.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Because toddlers crawl around on floors, obviously.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

lkittle kids who cannot reach the kitchen tap can reach the drain
valve and it is SO inviting with the handle - and the scalding hot
water is IMMEDIATE.

In kitchen sink it takes a few seconds to get that hot -