Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Drain Valve Type On New House Water Heater ?

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 8:05:08 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 4/26/18 7:11 AM, Robert11 wrote:
Hi Folks,

Have just had a new Bradford White water heater installed for house.
The very typical thing; 40 gal, upright cylinder. Gas fired.

Question: The drain valve on the very bottom is of a kind I've never seen
before.

Rather than the what I had assumed is "typical," this one has the treaded fitting for a hose,
but the top is a rather small, threaded, stem with a slot in it for apparently a screwdriver.

No typical stem with a handle on the top, like "before".

What is this new kind of valve drain valve ?

How does one use it ?
Mutli turn, or,...?

Why did they go to this type; pros and cons of ?

As always, much thanks,
Bob

Same on my recently installed new water heater. Maybe the mfr is saving
money by not installing a faucet handle- or discouraging owners from
draining out a few gallons every few months.

--
Nigerian man dies and authorities find 27 billion dollars stacked in his
apartment. He'd been trying to give it away for 15 years- but no one

My first thought is it's probably a safety improvement, to prevent a child
from finding it and opening it.