Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Boring deadbolt in exterior door

I bought a Kwikset powerbolt for my exterior door that wasn't drilled for a deadbolt.

I picked up a Bosch carbon 2 1/8" wood hole drill.

The issue is the door seems to be some form on plastic laminate. For sure it isn't metal and for sure it isn't wood. Drilled a small hole as a test with a wood bit and seemed to work fine.

Question: What is this door made of and will the wood hole drill work?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 10:50:50 -0700 (PDT), ArghArgh
wrote:

I bought a Kwikset powerbolt for my exterior door that wasn't drilled for a deadbolt.

I picked up a Bosch carbon 2 1/8" wood hole drill.

The issue is the door seems to be some form on plastic laminate. For sure it isn't metal and for sure it isn't wood. Drilled a small hole as a test with a wood bit and seemed to work fine.

Question: What is this door made of and will the wood hole drill work?

Thanks.

Sounds like the door is a form of fiberglass composite. I'd say the
hole saw should work okay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 2:01:09 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 10:50:50 -0700 (PDT), ArghArgh

I bought a Kwikset powerbolt for my exterior door that wasn't drilled for a deadbolt.

I picked up a Bosch carbon 2 1/8" wood hole drill.

The issue is the door seems to be some form on plastic laminate. For sure it isn't metal and for sure it isn't wood. Drilled a small hole as a test with a wood bit and seemed to work fine.

Question: What is this door made of and will the wood hole drill work?

Thanks.

Sounds like the door is a form of fiberglass composite. I'd say the
hole saw should work okay.

Yeah the only other material that comes to mind is vinyl. It has a wood grain, not sure if that could be done in fiberglass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 2:07:47 PM UTC-4, ArghArgh wrote:
On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 2:01:09 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 10:50:50 -0700 (PDT), ArghArgh

I bought a Kwikset powerbolt for my exterior door that wasn't drilled for a deadbolt.

I picked up a Bosch carbon 2 1/8" wood hole drill.

The issue is the door seems to be some form on plastic laminate. For sure it isn't metal and for sure it isn't wood. Drilled a small hole as a test with a wood bit and seemed to work fine.

Question: What is this door made of and will the wood hole drill work?

Thanks.

Sounds like the door is a form of fiberglass composite. I'd say the
hole saw should work okay.

Yeah the only other material that comes to mind is vinyl. It has a wood grain, not sure if that could be done in fiberglass.

uh... actually it has a particle board core I pulled the lock. So I guess it must be faced with fiberglass or vinyl.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 1:50:54 PM UTC-4, ArghArgh wrote:
I bought a Kwikset powerbolt for my exterior door that wasn't drilled for a deadbolt.

I picked up a Bosch carbon 2 1/8" wood hole drill.

The issue is the door seems to be some form on plastic laminate. For sure it isn't metal and for sure it isn't wood. Drilled a small hole as a test with a wood bit and seemed to work fine.

Question: What is this door made of and will the wood hole drill work?

Thanks.

What does the saw packaging say it's intended to be used for?
If unsure about the material, I'd opt for a blade with finer teeth,
rather than one with coarse teeth intended to go quickly through
wood. You don't need speed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 11:18:03 -0700 (PDT), ArghArgh
wrote:

[...]

My best guess is fiberglass. Here in the desert it takes beating from
the heat. The fiberglass clad doors do have a "wood grain" pattern.

If you post a photo on a free hosting site and a URL link back here
others can chime in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ArghArgh posted for all of us...

I bought a Kwikset powerbolt for my exterior door that wasn't drilled for a deadbolt.

I picked up a Bosch carbon 2 1/8" wood hole drill.

The issue is the door seems to be some form on plastic laminate. For sure it isn't metal and for sure it isn't wood. Drilled a small hole as a test with a wood bit and seemed to work fine.

Question: What is this door made of and will the wood hole drill work?

Thanks.

Fiberglass. Yes, also you may wish to purchase a lockset jig so the holes
line up, we don't know your abilities.

--
Tekkie