Joseph Meehan

Uriah Heep wrote:
I have a Pella door (exterior) for which I have no key. I wish to
install a deadbolt but the door is metal clad. What do I need to cut
the holes for the deadbolt?
uriah

While I think I would look to repace the lock you have so I could have a
key, you can use usual wood working drills for the new lock. The metal on
those doors is just one grade up from aluminum foil. You may want to
resharpen them when done. Now some commercial doors are a little different.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joe Bobst

the door is metal clad. What do I need to cut the holes for the deadbolt?

Sensible tool is a hole saw. The only other bit that works well wth sheet metal
is the Unibit, but the sizes may be smaller than you need and they are somewhat
pricey ($20+). HTH

Joe

Paul Franklin

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 05:13:12 -0700, Uriah Heep
wrote:

I have a Pella door (exterior) for which I have no key. I wish to
install a deadbolt but the door is metal clad. What do I need to cut
the holes for the deadbolt?
uriah

As other have said, a hole saw will work well for the round holes...

Problem is, most deadbolts you buy at the borg will require a
rectangular recess to mount the bolt itself. I went to a locksmith
and bought a deadbolt designed for metal doors that only required a
round hole for the bolt. I imagine you can find them online.

HTH,

Paul

Metal Door & Handle BigWallop UK diy 1 June 15th 04 08:00 AM
French door problem Scott Vajdos Woodworking 15 April 24th 04 08:06 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM