Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Boring deadbolt in exterior door

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 11:18:03 -0700 (PDT), ArghArgh
wrote:

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 2:07:47 PM UTC-4, ArghArgh wrote:
On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 2:01:09 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 10:50:50 -0700 (PDT), ArghArgh

I bought a Kwikset powerbolt for my exterior door that wasn't drilled for a deadbolt.

I picked up a Bosch carbon 2 1/8" wood hole drill.

The issue is the door seems to be some form on plastic laminate. For sure it isn't metal and for sure it isn't wood. Drilled a small hole as a test with a wood bit and seemed to work fine.

Question: What is this door made of and will the wood hole drill work?

Thanks.

Sounds like the door is a form of fiberglass composite. I'd say the
hole saw should work okay.

Yeah the only other material that comes to mind is vinyl. It has a wood grain, not sure if that could be done in fiberglass.

uh... actually it has a particle board core I pulled the lock. So I guess it must be faced with fiberglass or vinyl.

My best guess is fiberglass. Here in the desert it takes beating from
the heat. The fiberglass clad doors do have a "wood grain" pattern.

If you post a photo on a free hosting site and a URL link back here
others can chime in.