Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Default What do you use as a USB cable strain relief?

What do you use as a USB cable strain relief? https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu

I have been recently wrapping the ends with the tie wire that comes with
the cable but I would like to know what you use as a USB cable strain
relief that works better. https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Terry Schwartz wrote in
:

There should not be strain on a USB cable. It's considered a temporary, free-standing connection.

I hear you. I wish it were true that the cables don't break on the small
end. I really do.

But I can't count the number of broken microUSB & AppleUSB cables I have.
Maybe twenty? Thirty?

They all break at the same point because they go slowly so you know it by
the wiggle test.

The wiggle test proves it is the thin microUSB or AppleUSB end that plugs
into the mobile device.

It's never the fat rectangular USB end that plugs into the computer or
power supply.

I just want to know what you use as a strain relief?
Some people tell me heat shrink tubing works.

What do you use?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Erholt wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief? https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu
I have been recently wrapping the ends with the tie wire that comes with
the cable but I would like to know what you use as a USB cable strain
relief that works better. https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

When I have one that's getting loose, I use silicone gasket compound on it and let it dry for a couple of days. Cover it good to a couple of inches down the cable.

It might not look real pretty, but it works.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 2018/03/26 4:50 PM, Erholt Rhein wrote:
Terry Schwartz wrote in
:

There should not be strain on a USB cable. It's considered a temporary, free-standing connection.

I hear you. I wish it were true that the cables don't break on the small
end. I really do.

But I can't count the number of broken microUSB & AppleUSB cables I have.
Maybe twenty? Thirty?

They all break at the same point because they go slowly so you know it by
the wiggle test.

The wiggle test proves it is the thin microUSB or AppleUSB end that plugs
into the mobile device.

It's never the fat rectangular USB end that plugs into the computer or
power supply.

I just want to know what you use as a strain relief?
Some people tell me heat shrink tubing works.

What do you use?

Heat shrink works very well, you may want to use a couple of different
diameters of HS so you get a stepped strain relief on the cable/plug.

John :-#)#
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 7:50:26 PM UTC-4, Erholt Rhein wrote:
Terry Schwartz wrote in
:

There should not be strain on a USB cable. It's considered a temporary, free-standing connection.

I hear you. I wish it were true that the cables don't break on the small
end. I really do.

But I can't count the number of broken microUSB & AppleUSB cables I have.
Maybe twenty? Thirty?

They all break at the same point because they go slowly so you know it by
the wiggle test.

I have yet to have a USB cable break. I have seen folks with Apple's
lightning cables that deteriorate badly at both ends, with the covering
breaking apart. I've had 3 Android phones that use USB and none failed.

It's amazing how Apple screws it's customers with crap and gets away with
it. That lightning cable, they put a chip in it, to screw you. It's
there to identify it, so if you want to make an aftermarket one, you
have to pay Apple a licensing fee. That way Apple can charge $20 for
a $2 cable. But one of the aftermarket ones that's not licensed and
after awhile, it stops working, not because of electrical problems,
but because the phone figures out it's not Apple or authorized, so the
phone rejects it. Crappy Apple cables for $20and locking you in,
perfect combo. Oh and did those $20 cables and $20 chargers get you
anything? No, the charger they ship with the expensive phone is 5W
and Apple was just about the last to offer fast charging. And then,
as expected, instead of using what the rest of the phone industry is
mostly going with, Qualcomm QuickCharge, they again went proprietary
for another right proper screwing.

The wiggle test proves it is the thin microUSB or AppleUSB end that plugs
into the mobile device.

It's never the fat rectangular USB end that plugs into the computer or
power supply.

I just want to know what you use as a strain relief?
Some people tell me heat shrink tubing works.

I think that would be excellent. The only issue is, how do you get it over
a cable that has big connectors on each end?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 3/26/18 7:05 PM, John Robertson wrote:
Heat shrink works very well, you may want to use a couple
of different diameters of HS so you get a stepped strain
relief on the cable/plug.

There's only little problem with that.
How do you get the shrink tubing over the connector?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 8:59:18 PM UTC-4, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 3/26/18 7:05 PM, John Robertson wrote:
Heat shrink works very well, you may want to use a couple
of different diameters of HS so you get a stepped strain
relief on the cable/plug.

There's only little problem with that.
How do you get the shrink tubing over the connector?

Cut the cable in the middle?
Use super duper miracle shrink tubing that shrinks 95% so that it goes
over the connector?

I raised the same point a few mins ago. Typical USB cable you can
get on Ebay for $2 so I don't see it being a problem for most
folks. Plus I haven't had one fail like that. But if you have
an iPhone with their $20 cables I can see it being a problem.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

In article , Fox's
Mercantile wrote:

Heat shrink works very well, you may want to use a couple
of different diameters of HS so you get a stepped strain
relief on the cable/plug.

There's only little problem with that.
How do you get the shrink tubing over the connector?

you've never used shrink tubing, have you?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 3/26/18 8:37 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Fox's
Mercantile wrote:

Heat shrink works very well, you may want to use a couple
of different diameters of HS so you get a stepped strain
relief on the cable/plug.

There's only little problem with that.
How do you get the shrink tubing over the connector?

you've never used shrink tubing, have you?

Eye roll.....

There is a ratio concerning original vs shrink size.
If the tubing is large enough to fit over the connector
it may not shrink down full around the cable.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 9:48:15 PM UTC-4, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 3/26/18 8:37 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Fox's
Mercantile wrote:

Heat shrink works very well, you may want to use a couple
of different diameters of HS so you get a stepped strain
relief on the cable/plug.

There's only little problem with that.
How do you get the shrink tubing over the connector?

you've never used shrink tubing, have you?

Eye roll.....

There is a ratio concerning original vs shrink size.
If the tubing is large enough to fit over the connector
it may not shrink down full around the cable.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com

It depends on what's on the other end. We know one end is USB.
If the other end is micro-USB for a cell phone, for example,
then it could work.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

In article , Fox's
Mercantile wrote:

Heat shrink works very well, you may want to use a couple
of different diameters of HS so you get a stepped strain
relief on the cable/plug.

There's only little problem with that.
How do you get the shrink tubing over the connector?

you've never used shrink tubing, have you?

Eye roll.....

There is a ratio concerning original vs shrink size.
If the tubing is large enough to fit over the connector
it may not shrink down full around the cable.

since the micro usb connector is only slightly wider than the cable,
that's not an issue.

better yet, buy quality cables that don't fall apart and don't need
aftermarket reinforcements.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 3/26/18 6:27 PM, Erholt Rhein wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief? https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu

I have been recently wrapping the ends with the tie wire that comes with
the cable but I would like to know what you use as a USB cable strain
relief that works better. https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

Would flexible/stretchable tape work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2018 8:58 PM, trader_4 wrote:
It's amazing how Apple screws it's customers with crap and gets away with
it. That lightning cable, they put a chip in it, to screw you. It's
there to identify it, so if you want to make an aftermarket one, you
have to pay Apple a licensing fee. That way Apple can charge $20 for
a $2 cable.

I've always been puzzled why iPeople keep going back for more i****ins'.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 03/26/2018 07:54 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 3/26/18 6:27 PM, Erholt Rhein wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief? https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu

I have been recently wrapping the ends with the tie wire that comes with
the cable but I would like to know what you use as a USB cable strain
relief that works better. https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

Would flexible/stretchable tape work?

My friend uses that expensive clay-like stuff and is happy with it. She
gave us a small lump of it, but it's too good to use :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 26 Mar 2018 21:10:43 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

On 03/26/2018 07:54 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 3/26/18 6:27 PM, Erholt Rhein wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief? https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu

I have been recently wrapping the ends with the tie wire that comes with
the cable but I would like to know what you use as a USB cable strain
relief that works better. https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

Would flexible/stretchable tape work?

My friend uses that expensive clay-like stuff and is happy with it. She
gave us a small lump of it, but it's too good to use :-)

We still have paper towels used to wipe car windows without smearing
that a gas station gave my mother in 1962, They are too good to use.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 3/26/18 8:37 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Fox's
Mercantile wrote:

Heat shrink works very well, you may want to use a couple
of different diameters of HS so you get a stepped strain
relief on the cable/plug.

There's only little problem with that.
How do you get the shrink tubing over the connector?

you've never used shrink tubing, have you?

Eye roll.....

There is a ratio concerning original vs shrink size.
If the tubing is large enough to fit over the connector
it may not shrink down full around the cable.

Yes, well specify 3:1 or 4:1 heatshrink then, 3:1 is very easy to find
and 4:1 is certainly available.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 2018-03-27 01:27, Erholt Rhein wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief? https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu

Nothing. I simply handle them with care.

None of my cables broke in that part. Two failed at the pins.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2018-03-27 01:27, Erholt Rhein wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief? https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu

Nothing. I simply handle them with care.

None of my cables broke in that part. Two failed at the pins.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

I'd rather the cable broke than yanked the port out of a laptop or phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd rather the cable broke than yanked the port out of a laptop or phone.

+1

the most important thing is to avoid stressing the micro connector in the device. The cable is easy to replace.

mark

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2018 7:27 PM, Erholt Rhein wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief? https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu

I have been recently wrapping the ends with the tie wire that comes with
the cable but I would like to know what you use as a USB cable strain
relief that works better. https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

Anything you add to the cord will stiffen it.Â* This added rigidity will transmit increased cord bending forces into the device connector causing the device's connector to fail prematurely.Â* Personally, I'd rather replace cables than try to solder in new
device connectors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 11:43:40 PM UTC-4, Chuck wrote:
On 3/26/2018 8:58 PM, trader_4 wrote:
It's amazing how Apple screws it's customers with crap and gets away with
it. That lightning cable, they put a chip in it, to screw you. It's
there to identify it, so if you want to make an aftermarket one, you
have to pay Apple a licensing fee. That way Apple can charge $20 for
a $2 cable.

I've always been puzzled why iPeople keep going back for more i****ins'.

Another fine example is that all those iPhones, you can't add more Flash
memory to them. You'd think a $600 to $1100 phone would have that as
a standard feature, but no. Now if they shipped them all with a lot of
memory, maybe that would make some sense. But they are still selling
iphone 6s's for $600 with 16GB of memory! I bought an Android for $100
that has 32GB and it takes a micros SD so you can add another 256GB,
which is typical of Androids.
The batteries are not user replaceable, while most phones they have
been replaceable and that's finally come back to create trouble for Apple.
Apple has done one incredible job of keeping people in the cult.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Javier Jacobson wrote:

Anything you add to the cord will stiffen it. This added rigidity will
transmit increased cord bending forces into the device connector causing
the device's connector to fail prematurely.

Exactly. This is what a true strain relief is supposed to do: confine
the stress to the cable rather than transmit it to the connector. Some
cables are reinforced to prevent sharp bends, a common cause of cable
failure, near the ends; but that's not usually referred to as a "strain
relief".

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

In article , Neill Massello
wrote:

Anything you add to the cord will stiffen it. This added rigidity will
transmit increased cord bending forces into the device connector causing
the device's connector to fail prematurely.

Exactly. This is what a true strain relief is supposed to do: confine
the stress to the cable rather than transmit it to the connector. Some
cables are reinforced to prevent sharp bends, a common cause of cable
failure, near the ends; but that's not usually referred to as a "strain
relief".

some cables are designed to snap at the connector so it *doesn't*
damage the device.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2018 7:27 PM, Erholt Rhein wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief? https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu

I have been recently wrapping the ends with the tie wire that comes with
the cable but I would like to know what you use as a USB cable strain
relief that works better. https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

I don't use anything since I always use quality braided cables when there
is a great chance of excess strain but I understand that some people use a
blob of Sugru for the purpose. I have used that product to reinforce/repair
the inbuilt USB cable on the auto power adapter from my old Magellan GPS
and, while it was a pretty ugly mess, it did the job quite well and also
allowed me to make the cord into a 90-degree rather than straight feed so
it kept the cord away from the shift lever.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Erholt Rhein wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief? https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu

I have been recently wrapping the ends with the tie wire that comes with
the cable but I would like to know what you use as a USB cable strain
relief that works better. https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

Just buy/use cables with built-in strain relief, i.e. a flexible part
at the cable sides of the connectors. The cables you showed don't have
such a flexible part. They're probably cheap crap.

FWIW, the only cheap-crap [1] cable I (know I) have, indeed does not
have flexible strain relief. Duh!

[1] Yes, I have a valid excuse for this one! :-)

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Javier Jacobson wrote:
Erholt Rhein wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief? https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu
I have been recently wrapping the ends with the tie wire that comes with
the cable but I would like to know what you use as a USB cable strain
relief that works better. https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

Anything you add to the cord will stiffen it. This added rigidity will
transmit increased cord bending forces into the device connector causing
the device's connector to fail prematurely.

True, but the idea of a strain relief is not to stiffen the cable, but
to prevent the bending force from acting on a single point and instead
distribute the force over a longer length of cable. That's healthy for
both the cable and the connector/device.

-p

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair
s|b s|b is offline

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 23:27:35 +0000 (UTC), Erholt Rhein wrote:

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.hom e.repair

Don't feed the troll... He (cross)posted this to other newsgroups as
well.

--
s|b
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Am 27.03.18 um 16:42 schrieb Colonel Edmund J. Burke:
On 3/26/2018 4:27 PM, Erholt Rhein wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief? https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu

I have been recently wrapping the ends with the tie wire that comes with
the cable but I would like to know what you use as a USB cable strain
relief that works better. https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

You sum kinda idiot?

Typical Troll path. Did the Army fire you?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

relief that works better.Â*Â* https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

You sum kinda idiot?

Typical Troll path. Did the Army fire you?

That's not my header, dumbo.
LOL

Certainly. That is exactly the header of your posting. Typical Troll-path.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 2018-03-29 08:24, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
Am 28.03.18 um 17:08 schrieb Colonel Edmund J. Burke:
On 3/28/2018 6:50 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
Am 27.03.18 um 16:42 schrieb Colonel Edmund J. Burke:
On 3/26/2018 4:27 PM, Erholt Rhein wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief?
https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu

I have been recently wrapping the ends with the tie wire that comes
with
the cable but I would like to know what you use as a USB cable strain
relief that works better.Â*Â* https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

You sum kinda idiot?

Typical Troll path. Did the Army fire you?

That's not my header, dumbo.
LOL

Certainly. That is exactly the header of your posting. Typical Troll-path.

It is absurd to judge a troll solely for using a free server. I get a
very different path for the same post.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Default [OT] How to (not) read a Path: header. (was: What do you use as a USB cable strain relief?)

On 2018-03-29 08:24, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
Am 28.03.18 um 17:08 schrieb Colonel Edmund J. Burke:
On 3/28/2018 6:50 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
Am 27.03.18 um 16:42 schrieb Colonel Edmund J. Burke:
On 3/26/2018 4:27 PM, Erholt Rhein wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief?
https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu

I have been recently wrapping the ends with the tie wire that comes
with
the cable but I would like to know what you use as a USB cable strain
relief that works better.** https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

You sum kinda idiot?

Typical Troll path. Did the Army fire you?

That's not my header, dumbo.
LOL

Certainly. That is exactly the header of your posting. Typical Troll-path.

It is absurd to judge a troll solely for using a free server. I get a
very different path for the same post.

It's about the right-hand side of the Path. You read a Path from right
to left. The right-hand side indicates (read: should indicate) the
origin server of the post.

The right-hand part of the Path is the same:

Joerg:

You:

In this particular case, a long part of the Path is the same. Normally
it's only one or two !-parts.

The rest of the Path shows how the post got from the origin to your
news server. Because Joerg and you use a different news server, that
part of the Path is different.

HTH.

--
Frank Slootweg, in a past life, (part-time) News server admin in some
tiny 150,000 employee company.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 2018-03-29 08:24, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
Am 28.03.18 um 17:08 schrieb Colonel Edmund J. Burke:
On 3/28/2018 6:50 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
Am 27.03.18 um 16:42 schrieb Colonel Edmund J. Burke:
On 3/26/2018 4:27 PM, Erholt Rhein wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief?
https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu

I have been recently wrapping the ends with the tie wire that comes
with
the cable but I would like to know what you use as a USB cable strain
relief that works better.Â*Â* https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

You sum kinda idiot?

Typical Troll path. Did the Army fire you?

That's not my header, dumbo.
LOL

Certainly. That is exactly the header of your posting. Typical Troll-path.

It is absurd to judge a troll solely for using a free server. I get a
very different path for the same post.

This is not only a free server it is an anonymous server. The user has
no obligation to identify himself. That is the reason why these servers
are so popular with trolls. And the very first nntp-server on the line
(in fact close to the end) tells you the injection point because these
troll-servers also suppress the injection-info.

It is easily possible that the routing to your server looks different
but not the injection point.

CU

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Am 29.03.18 um 18:00 schrieb Frank Slootweg:
The right-hand part of the Path is the same:

Joerg:

You:

In this particular case, a long part of the Path is the same. Normally
it's only one or two !-parts.

The rest of the Path shows how the post got from the origin to your
news server. Because Joerg and you use a different news server, that
part of the Path is different.

The injection point is: news.highwinds-media.com, a typical troll-server.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2018 7:27 PM, Erholt Rhein wrote:
What do you use as a USB cable strain relief? https://imgur.com/VUSYhBu

I have been recently wrapping the ends with the tie wire that comes with
the cable but I would like to know what you use as a USB cable strain
relief that works better. https://imgur.com/yjHLBYt

Lots of replies, so this may have been suggested already

http://i.imgur.com/aJUXf.jpg

Taken from any 'click' pen.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

83LowRider wrote in news
Lots of replies, so this may have been suggested already

http://i.imgur.com/aJUXf.jpg

Taken from any 'click' pen.

That's the best idea ever!
http://i.imgur.com/aJUXf.jpg\

The pen spring was suggested but until I saw your photo I didn't think the
pen spring would work. You showed that a pen spring _is_ big enough to roll
onto the Apple cable becoming what I had called a strain relief but I don't
know what it's called because others said it's not a strain relief.

That picture is PERFECT for what I want to do, and is the best and cheapest
answer yet and it relieves the strain gradually which is another perfect
thing!

Now I have to root through the trash to find all those Bic click pens I've
thrown away over the years! LOL

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 2018-03-29 22:37, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
Am 29.03.18 um 18:00 schrieb Frank Slootweg:
Â*Â* The right-hand part of the Path is the same:

Joerg:

You:

Â*Â* In this particular case, a long part of the Path is the same. Normally
it's only one or two !-parts.

Â*Â* The rest of the Path shows how the post got from the origin to your
news server. Because Joerg and you use a different news server, that
part of the Path is different.

The injection point is: news.highwinds-media.com, a typical troll-server.

Well, I have been using news.aioe.org and freenews.netfront.net for a
long time, and I'm certainly no troll. I simply do not like to pay and
my ISP does no longer provide nntp.

Thus I make nothing of using a free server.

If a name shifter uses always the same server, well, that's a clue, but
not definitive. Posting from there is not definitive.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Carlos E.R. wrote:
[...]
Well, I have been using news.aioe.org and freenews.netfront.net for a
long time, and I'm certainly no troll.

True, but for example aioe *is* used by a lot of trolls. Example: Our
resident nymshifter.

I simply do not like to pay and
my ISP does no longer provide nntp.

Huh? Aren't you using the pay-server News.Individual.[NET|DE]? :

That's your Path to me, i.e. we're both on News.Individual.[NET|DE].

[...]
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 2018-03-30 17:06, Frank Slootweg wrote:
Carlos E.R. wrote:
[...]
Well, I have been using news.aioe.org and freenews.netfront.net for a
long time, and I'm certainly no troll.

True, but for example aioe *is* used by a lot of trolls. Example: Our
resident nymshifter.

I simply do not like to pay and
my ISP does no longer provide nntp.

Huh? Aren't you using the pay-server News.Individual.[NET|DE]? :

Now it is, but it wasn't a year ago :-)

My system may still use aioe if the primary server fails. When using
leafnode one has a primary server and may have several others as
secondaries.

You could use a scoring system: if the posting server is a free one, add
some points. But you need other clues to add points to assure certainty.
For instance, that it is a new name, that it talks a certain way, has
some traits... ;-)

My issue is with thinking that a poster using aioe alone meaning he is a
troll or spammer.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 2018-03-30 17:06, Frank Slootweg wrote:
Carlos E.R. wrote:
[...]
Well, I have been using news.aioe.org and freenews.netfront.net for a
long time, and I'm certainly no troll.

True, but for example aioe *is* used by a lot of trolls. Example: Our
resident nymshifter.

I simply do not like to pay and
my ISP does no longer provide nntp.

Huh? Aren't you using the pay-server News.Individual.[NET|DE]? :

Now it is, but it wasn't a year ago :-)

I see.

My system may still use aioe if the primary server fails. When using
leafnode one has a primary server and may have several others as
secondaries.

NIN failing!? Can't happen! :-) But seriously, I can also use multiple
servers as I have Hamster on my system, i.e. a local, private News
server on Windows, much like leafnode on UNIX/Linux.

You could use a scoring system: if the posting server is a free one, add
some points. But you need other clues to add points to assure certainty.
For instance, that it is a new name, that it talks a certain way, has
some traits... ;-)

My issue is with thinking that a poster using aioe alone meaning he is a
troll or spammer.

Yeah, I agree. Same thing as people ruling out posters using Google
Groups (or posters using Linux! :-)).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Am 30.03.18 um 13:56 schrieb Carlos E.R.:
Well, I have been using news.aioe.org and freenews.netfront.net for a
long time, and I'm certainly no troll. I simply do not like to pay and
my ISP does no longer provide nntp.

Free and anonymous are not the same. And I did not say all useres of
these servers are trolls but almost all trolls use these servers.

A free server but not anonymous would be the following:

https://www.eternal-september.org/?l...&showpage=home

Thus I make nothing of using a free server.

That's why I had to put you on my "troll server"-exception list to be
able to read you.

Joerg