Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What do you use as a USB cable strain relief?

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 7:50:26 PM UTC-4, Erholt Rhein wrote:
Terry Schwartz wrote in
:

There should not be strain on a USB cable. It's considered a temporary, free-standing connection.

I hear you. I wish it were true that the cables don't break on the small
end. I really do.

But I can't count the number of broken microUSB & AppleUSB cables I have.
Maybe twenty? Thirty?

They all break at the same point because they go slowly so you know it by
the wiggle test.

I have yet to have a USB cable break. I have seen folks with Apple's
lightning cables that deteriorate badly at both ends, with the covering
breaking apart. I've had 3 Android phones that use USB and none failed.

It's amazing how Apple screws it's customers with crap and gets away with
it. That lightning cable, they put a chip in it, to screw you. It's
there to identify it, so if you want to make an aftermarket one, you
have to pay Apple a licensing fee. That way Apple can charge $20 for
a $2 cable. But one of the aftermarket ones that's not licensed and
after awhile, it stops working, not because of electrical problems,
but because the phone figures out it's not Apple or authorized, so the
phone rejects it. Crappy Apple cables for $20and locking you in,
perfect combo. Oh and did those $20 cables and $20 chargers get you
anything? No, the charger they ship with the expensive phone is 5W
and Apple was just about the last to offer fast charging. And then,
as expected, instead of using what the rest of the phone industry is
mostly going with, Qualcomm QuickCharge, they again went proprietary
for another right proper screwing.

The wiggle test proves it is the thin microUSB or AppleUSB end that plugs
into the mobile device.

It's never the fat rectangular USB end that plugs into the computer or
power supply.

I just want to know what you use as a strain relief?
Some people tell me heat shrink tubing works.

I think that would be excellent. The only issue is, how do you get it over
a cable that has big connectors on each end?