Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Jacking up house to make crawlspace into lower level?

Hi My family is considering adding another level onto our house. A another idea occurred to me but im not sure if it is a real option. We have a crawl space that runs the length of the house. I know that houses are sometimes jacked up to repair the foundation, are houses ever jacked up in order to make a crawlspace a lower level? If the house could be raised that high, then the beams could be replaced with longer beams. Is that possible?
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Im sure it is possible to dig through the slab, but cost-wise I would think this would be more expensive than adding on another level... im not sure where jacking up the house would land costwise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 8:54:51 AM UTC-4, danny burstein wrote:
In writes:

Hi My family is considering adding another level onto our house. A anothe=
r idea occurred to me but im not sure if it is a real option. We have a cra=
wl space that runs the length of the house. I know that houses are sometim=
es jacked up to repair the foundation, are houses ever jacked up in order t=
o make a crawlspace a lower level? If the house could be raised that high,=
then the beams could be replaced with longer beams. Is that possible?=20
Thanks

Short answer: kind of yes.

Take a look at the houses in the Hurrican Sandy flood zone
which were raised to keep them above future flooding.

They weren't intending to add a new first floor or basement,
but the liftingis the same.

You beat me too it. A lot of homes near the beach here in NJ have
been jacked up and are now on pilings high enough for another floor.
Like you say, they use that area for parking or a garage, not living
space, but the idea is the same. They are even putting the AC units
up high now too. But the difference is these are relatively expensive
homes at or near the beaches and the cost can be justified. For a
house in general, I think it would probably be cost prohibitive.
Also, I would think that with jacking, you probably wind up with having
to do some repairs to cracked walls and the like that result. You
also have to consider that the old and new parts will be used for,
ie if you jack and don't change things, the kitchen, LR will be on
the second level.

Before undertaking adding a whole story to a house, I'd consider what
the market value is now, what it will be after, what the cost of the
addition will be. I would think it might make more sense to sell
and find another house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, buying another house is a possibility, im just considering all the options