Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Jacking up house to make crawlspace into lower level?

On 3/20/2018 8:44 AM, wrote:
Hi My family is considering adding another level onto our house. A another idea occurred to me but im not sure if it is a real option. We have a crawl space that runs the length of the house. I know that houses are sometimes jacked up to repair the foundation, are houses ever jacked up in order to make a crawlspace a lower level? If the house could be raised that high, then the beams could be replaced with longer beams. Is that possible?
Thanks

Similar things have been done. In coastal areas a lot of houses have
been raised for flood prevention but the new lower level is not a living
space, just storage.

I don't know how cost effective it is compared to just moving to a
larger house.