Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Controversy over Florida researchers' approach to kill overpopulating iguanas

posted for all of us...

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 10:30:36 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 03/12/2018 04:38 AM,
wrote:
On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 6:13:48 AM UTC-4, BurfordTJustice wrote:
Come on pansy asses, man up get a gun and shoot the *******s. Tax all those
that own one
for a pet to pay for the ammo.

If they're in a populated area, a bolt gun (or a rock) is the safest way.

You should see the controversy in Ann Arbor over culling the deer population.
They're using sharpshooters where they can, and sterilizing does where the
housing density is too high to safely shoot them. To my way of thinking,
once you've captured the doe, just kill it.

At least they're donating the meat to the hungry.

The newspaper is filled with bleeding hearts saying "stop the cull".

Helena uses net traps and bolt guns with the meat going to the food bank.

http://www.ktvh.com/2017/01/helena-d...ban-deer-count

There are a lot more sensitive types in Missoula so the idea doesn't fly
here. Also the deer are white tails and seldom cause problems compared
to the mule deer in Helena, other than eating gardens. I've seen them
standing by the side of the road calmly watching traffic and waiting for
a break before crossing the road. There's no need to buy lawn ornaments
in some parts of the city. One year around Christmas I walked by what I
thought was an elaborate creche setup before I noticed the figurines
were chewing their cuds.

The White Tail Deer is still the most dangerous animal in the US
killing more people than bears, alligators, snakes and big cats
combined.
Most don't look both ways before they cross the road.
I do wonder where the "if it saves one human life" people are here.
BTW the last time I almost got killed by a deer it was in downtown DC
on the Whitehurst freeway. I dodged one and the other one jumped over
the side (20' to K street below). I thought about going down to see
how she was doing but I did not have time to dress out a deer that
night.

A taxpayer wrote in to the local police wanting a deer crossing sign posted
and lines on the street. My first first comment was that I didn't know deer
could read.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 14:41:17 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

A taxpayer wrote in to the local police wanting a deer crossing sign posted
and lines on the street. My first first comment was that I didn't know deer
could read.

I thought deer were color blind. My dog is. Maybe I could learn
something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/16/2018 12:41 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
A taxpayer wrote in to the local police wanting a deer crossing sign posted
and lines on the street. My first first comment was that I didn't know deer
could read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3btA2Qu1-k
http://www.marcelhuijserphotography....F81F4#h41f81f4

It's not clear from the video but the bridge is strictly for the
animals. You can, and I have, climb through a fence and walk across it
but there is nothing but woods on either side. I've never seen evidence
that it is used much.

There are a number of culverts under the highway and those get more use.
The bridge is on the rez so I assume there was some sort of tribal
boondoggle in play.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 19:57:25 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 03/16/2018 12:41 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
A taxpayer wrote in to the local police wanting a deer crossing sign posted
and lines on the street. My first first comment was that I didn't know deer
could read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3btA2Qu1-k
http://www.marcelhuijserphotography....F81F4#h41f81f4

It's not clear from the video but the bridge is strictly for the
animals. You can, and I have, climb through a fence and walk across it
but there is nothing but woods on either side. I've never seen evidence
that it is used much.

There are a number of culverts under the highway and those get more use.
The bridge is on the rez so I assume there was some sort of tribal
boondoggle in play.

The US taxpayers paid about $150 million to build Florida panther
bridges, fences and other features on a 65 mile section of I-75 for an
animal that does not actually exist. There is no actual difference
between a "Florida Panther" and the cougars in Texas or those mountain
lions that eat joggers in California. If there ever was a slight
genetic difference it disappeared when they brought in a bunch of
Texas cougars to bred with the native cats. The environmentalists say
you can see some little differences in the shape of the ear and the
curl of the tail but other scientists say that is just genetic damage
from a century in inbreeding, hence the introduction of fresh genetic
material. Unfortunately that legally eliminated the Florida Panther as
a distinct species in the eyes of the law (the ESA)