Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
JBI JBI is offline

Default main water line frozen?

I live in the NE and with the unusual deep freeze this year, I've been
having a heck of a time keeping the water flowing. The first culprit
was some frozen lines that run into the kitchen and the area where
freezing occurs is toward the edge of the house. A small electric space
heater aimed at the area seems to get them dethawed within 24 hours.
The second time was apparently frozen lines in the attic. It still only
affected the kitchen, so I aimed a space heater into the bottom kitchen
cabinet and within a day water was flowing again. This time, I'm more
concerned... no water flowing from any of the faucets. This happened
before, but about 20 years ago when we had a similar long term deep
freeze. I haven't been able to do much about this other than trying to
keep all faucets wide open. The main shut off in the house I have
almost fully closed. Today, finally, with some above freezing temps, I
am starting to see dripping in the kitchen, but that's all so far. When
this happened 20 years ago, I called the water company, and they
couldn't do anything. A neighbor at the time cut up his hose and made a
direct connection to my outdoor hose and got things running again, but
he's long dead. Been no water for two days now. I'm wondering if I
should just keep waiting or ? This is the first day in two weeks that
temps have gone above 32. Should I completely shut off the internal
house valve or leave it open somewhat? What about the main valve out at
the meter? Thanks.