Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Use the proper equipment

If you find yourself asking, do I need a ladder, am I to old to stand on this chair or couch?

Get the ladder!!!!!

Years ago I thought I can stand on the couch to take down Christmas decorations.

I fell and was lucky to not be injured. As I fell, I was thinking, is this how I'm going to die?

I'm old, but faced with the possibility of dying before I felt I was ready, made me angry and fearful of being injured bad enough to be an invalid the rest of my life, if I lived.

So be careful during the holidays.

Merry Christmas and have a happy new year, every one, even uncle cookie monster, and the mad colonel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mysterious traveler, Iggy wrote:
Yeah, the "right" equipment works well enough and all. But, a little thought
can go a long way. If you're human you're clever. Work smarter, not harder. A
mop or a broom can let you take Christmas decorations down or put them up.
Open light fixtures, like many ceiling fan light kits, can be made extremely
safe and convenient for light bulb changes.

With coil or corkscrew CFL's, a couple of small dowels a few inches long and
hose clamped to a broom stick can spin an old bulb out and a new one in. For
$10 to $30 you can buy light bulb changer sticks for any bulb...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bayco-Li...600C/100146994
Great for floodlights, recessed lights, exterior door lights, ceiling fan
lights and will still hang Christmas tree balls or tinsel and garland draped
over light fixtures, columns tops, higher window cranks or installed ceiling
hooks.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1153593-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2017 8:02 PM, mysterious traveler wrote:
If you find yourself asking, do I need a ladder, am I to old to stand on
this chair or couch?
Get the ladder!!!!!

Years ago I thought I can stand on the couch to take down Christmas
decorations.
I fell and was lucky to not be injured. As I fell, I was thinking, is
this how I'm going to die?
I'm old, but faced with the possibility of dying before I felt I was
ready, made me angry and fearful of being injured bad enough to be an
invalid the rest of my life, if I lived.

So be careful during the holidays.

I will remember your advise the next time I go snowboarding on the
double diamond runs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2017 10:22 AM, Bob F wrote:
On 12/20/2017 8:02 PM, mysterious traveler wrote:
If you find yourself asking, do I need a ladder, am I to old to stand
on this chair or couch?
Get the ladder!!!!!

Years ago I thought I can stand on the couch to take down Christmas
decorations.
I fell and was lucky to not be injured. As I fell, I was thinking, is
this how I'm going to die?
I'm old, but faced with the possibility of dying before I felt I was
ready, made me angry and fearful of being injured bad enough to be an
invalid the rest of my life, if I lived.

So be careful during the holidays.

I will remember your advise the next time I go snowboarding on the
double diamond runs.

Many years ago when my dad was in a nursing home there was a teenage kid
there because of something he did skateboarding. Go for it.