Posted to alt.home.repair
victor

Default proper way to use a power snake

I have a 4" PVC Drainage pipe that needs to be snaked. It is a lateral
25 foot PVC sewer line going from the house to the septic tank.
When I have cleaned this line in the past
through the outside clean out, the power auger has a tendency to get
tangled up requiring pulling out the snake and starting all over again.
What is the proper way to use a powersnake to clean a line without the
snake getting tangled??

Thanks for your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

You mean it gets caught when you try to make the 90 degree turn? I've
used them a couple of times in the past and have yet to find a better
way other than just pull it back and try again. You can try flexing
the cable back and forth and side-to-side as you push forward to affect
the direction of the head. I can't say if that helped or if it was
sheer persistence that did it. Many of the snakes have a reverse
switch to change the rotation. You could briefly switch rotation
directions if that helps get you past the tight corner, but you'll have
to switch back to forward if you want to continue to feed after that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young

It is generally better to feed the snake very slowly and gently in a back
and forth motion, not trying to force it forward deeply into the clog. Try
to keep it running smoothly and not get tangled in the clog. If there is a
large clog you may have to pull it out and clean off the debris several
times.
Don Young
"victor" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 4" PVC Drainage pipe that needs to be snaked. It is a lateral
25 foot PVC sewer line going from the house to the septic tank.
When I have cleaned this line in the past
through the outside clean out, the power auger has a tendency to get
tangled up requiring pulling out the snake and starting all over again.
What is the proper way to use a powersnake to clean a line without the
snake getting tangled??

Thanks for your help!

Workshop In An Alternate Homepower Environment Too_Many_Tools Woodworking 276 June 29th 05 01:24 AM
Power Supply Repair fernando1222 Electronics Repair 0 June 7th 05 09:18 PM
Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Computer power supply compatiility My father's son Electronics Repair 15 January 16th 04 11:13 PM