DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   proper way to use a power snake (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/133285-proper-way-use-power-snake.html)

victor November 28th 05 05:19 PM

proper way to use a power snake

I have a 4" PVC Drainage pipe that needs to be snaked. It is a lateral
25 foot PVC sewer line going from the house to the septic tank.
When I have cleaned this line in the past
through the outside clean out, the power auger has a tendency to get
tangled up requiring pulling out the snake and starting all over again.
What is the proper way to use a powersnake to clean a line without the
snake getting tangled??

Thanks for your help!

louie November 28th 05 06:12 PM

proper way to use a power snake

You mean it gets caught when you try to make the 90 degree turn? I've
used them a couple of times in the past and have yet to find a better
way other than just pull it back and try again. You can try flexing
the cable back and forth and side-to-side as you push forward to affect
the direction of the head. I can't say if that helped or if it was
sheer persistence that did it. Many of the snakes have a reverse
switch to change the rotation. You could briefly switch rotation
directions if that helps get you past the tight corner, but you'll have
to switch back to forward if you want to continue to feed after that.

Don Young November 29th 05 04:10 AM

proper way to use a power snake

It is generally better to feed the snake very slowly and gently in a back
and forth motion, not trying to force it forward deeply into the clog. Try
to keep it running smoothly and not get tangled in the clog. If there is a
large clog you may have to pull it out and clean off the debris several
times.
Don Young
oups.com...