Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 200A service panel replacement

I was quoted $3500 for 200A Square D service panel replacement which I think
is on the high side.

ELECTRICAL QUOTE
200A Service Upgrade
Service Head
Service entrance cable
Meter base
Square D type QO equipment
200 Amp main breaker panel
40 space max S.P. circuits
Breakers as required
Properly label panel
3/4" plywood panel board built out in front of soil pipes
Good whole house surge protection
GFI receptacle below panel
Copper ground rods and conductors
Proper ground to water service
Intersystem bonding bridge
Removal of old equipment
Clean up
Permit
Inspection

In their quote was a surge protector: PSPproducts.net

PSP H1-75-04N
75kA Surge Capacity
MOV Technology
LED visual indicator
NEMA 4X Indoor/Outdoor rated
Lifetime Warranty
$50,000 Down line Warranty

Upgrade to...

Best (+$300)
PSP HC1C100-06-N
100kA Surge Capacity
MOV & Gas tube technology
Faster Response Time
LED visual indicator and audible alarm
NEMA 6 Indoor/Outdoor rated
Multiple mounting options
Lifetime Warranty
$100,000 Down line Warranty

Any thoughts on the quote and these protectors?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 16:27:10 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

[...]

It depends on where you are. If you are in a blue (union) state, that
is probably about right.

About the protector, grounding and bonding with the other things
coming in (phone, cable, sat) is more important than the unit itself
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Can you ask for & provide us with a more-detailed quote ?
eg how many feet of underground ? entrance cable :
: material ?
: labour ? ,, complicated excavation ?
Way too many unknowns to judge the quote.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any thoughts on the quote and these protectors?

It depends on where you are. If you are in a blue (union) state, that
is probably about right.

Really ? How does that work in your blue states ?
It's the opposite in my world - residential service upgrades are the
bread & butter of small electrical contractors - never unionized.
The unionized trades are working on the commercial & industrial
jobs and for the utilities.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2017 4:27 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
I was quoted $3500 for 200A Square D service panel replacement which I think
is on the high side.

Your instincts are correct.Â* I had meter base, service entrance cable and a new 200A Siemens panel with generator inlet installed for $1800.Â* The permit and inspection was $150 additional.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Had mine done 11 years ago for $725 but that included a transfer panel
for my generator. I would think cost would be double by now but nowhere
near as high as yours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 17:02:19 -0500, wrote:

[...]

He said service head so that implies overhead service, no service
lateral (underground).
The SE cable is what goes from the service point at the customer end
of the overhead drop to the meter can and then on to the panel.

This is actually a fairly detailed proposal. The biggest thing I see
missing is the number and type of breakers. Bear in mind he will be
required to use AFCI breakers just about everywhere and the inspector
might require GFCI breakers on any applicable circuit that does not
have device type GFCIs. At $30-40 a pop, that adds up pretty fast.
The other wild card is how much needs to be done to the existing
wiring to mate up with the new panel. If they bump into multiwire
circuits, that might get ugly or require a more expensive 2 pole AFCI.
The alternative is to combine both legs onto one breaker but then you
will have a problem with the 3va per square foot rule if the inspector
is willing to check it out. I know it would ring a bell with me and I
would get my tape measure out. These are usually the rooms as far away
from the panel as they can be, typically bedrooms. It started becoming
a problem in 2002 when they started the AFCI thing.
Prior to that it was common to run a 14/3 to a ceiling box in one of
the bedrooms and split off 2 circuits from there. This was cheaper and
also mitigated the voltage drop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

May be a bit high but it also depends on how much incoming cable is
needed. The price of cable went wa up a few years back.

The upgrade surge protection seems steep from what I've seen. I'd get
another price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 20:15:09 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

There is not going to be much "incoming wire". It just comes from the
mast to the panel and it may be aluminum anyway.

Those expensive protectors with the down stream insurance include the
cost of that insurance. It may be more than the part itself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Mabee a WEE bit on the high side - here in Ontario, in Canadian
dollars it would be a deal. Not sure if the upgraded surge protection
is worth an extra $300 - you don't know untill you get hit and it
works - and even then you don't know if the smaller one would have
done the job.

Good choice on the QO though - but up here the "special" breakers -ie-
2 pole, arc fault etc. are HELLISHLY expensive up here compared to in
the USA. I had a friend bring a few of them up for me - less than half
price and they DO have the Canadian certification on them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Sounds about right with NO underground feeder replacement - just a
new meter base, panel, and required GFCI and AFCI equipment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 18:42:16 -0500, Willy wrote:

On 12/5/2017 4:27 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
I was quoted $3500 for 200A Square D service panel replacement which I think
is on the high side.

Your instincts are correct.* I had meter base, service entrance cable and a new 200A Siemens panel with generator inlet installed for $1800.* The permit and inspection was $150 additional.

BIG difference between a Seimens and a Square D QO - in both price
and quality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 21:03:03 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

BIG difference between a Seimens and a Square D QO - in both price
and quality.

You can get a 42 circuit QO main breaker panel and a few breakers on a
package for about $200 online but you might not get that at every
electrical supplier. Just because a place caters to the trade, does
not mean they are the cheapest place to shop. They do provide services
to trades tho.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 19:38:24 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 17:37:44 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 17:10:51 -0500,
wrote:

Any thoughts on the quote and these protectors?

It depends on where you are. If you are in a blue (union) state, that
is probably about right.

Really ? How does that work in your blue states ?
It's the opposite in my world - residential service upgrades are the
bread & butter of small electrical contractors - never unionized.
The unionized trades are working on the commercial & industrial
jobs and for the utilities.
John T.

I'm in a "blue" state. Illinois. Blue county too. Cook. Same as Chicago.
When I lived in Chicago, I had my service replaced. It was not a union electrical company.
It was about $500, but that was in '84 or '85. It was 100 amp.
I live just outside Chicago now, and I had the service replaced. Again non-union.
I paid $1200 for a 100 amp service, plus a 220v run for new central air. And a new pipe
through the roof.
But that was in 1998.
Check around for young hungry guys.

In the 90s you could get a service upgrade in SW Fla for that kind of
money but with all of the new code rules, that price is a lot higher
and there are plenty of places with higher labor rates, union or not.

Yeah, talking about 1998 prices sorta reminds me of a post from
www.homeownershub.com.
BTW, it was '78 not '84-85 when I got that $500 service, and the problem with getting a
decent price in Chicago was because the electrical contractors and the city electrical
inspectors were working together. They ended up indicting at least 1/3 of the electrical
inspectors.
It was just dumb luck I called guys whose dad was wearing a wire for the feds.
Fifth Avenue Electric. 11 brothers and their dad. Dead honest.
It was the time of the so-called "Mirage Scandal." It's in Wiki.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

[...]

I've read all the replies and *thanks* for them.

No union for residential in Eastern PA.

No underground. The entrance cable runs from the weather-head along the eave
to the meter, I estimate 20 ft.

A complication is the panel mounting. Presently it resides right above the
soil pipe and my wife has stated she would like it lower because she is
short and can't readily reach it. I am disabled and would never make it down
the stairs except head first.

I don't know of any GFCI/AFCI breakers in there now. I had a new outlet
installed in the bedroom awhile ago and didn't ask at that time.

The panel is full at this time and I have a sub panel which I believe is
full.

I don't have any issues other than the occasional-maybe every two weeks at
most-flicker in the bathroom when either or both the oil burner and well
pump come on.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 3:20:18 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

They will be required on the new panel, one or the other on most circuits, which adds to the cost.

The panel is full at this time and I have a sub panel which I believe is
full.

I don't have any issues other than the occasional-maybe every two weeks at
most-flicker in the bathroom when either or both the oil burner and well
pump come on.

--
Tekkie

What's the purpose of the upgrade?

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 posted for all of us...

[...]

The electrician (who would not be doing the work) was here and I asked for
his evaluation. I wanted to see the price.

--
Tekkie