Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Upgrade from 200A to 3 or 400A service

Is it possible to upgrade my electric panel from a 200 amp service to a
300 or 400 amp service. I want to finish my basement and add a new
patio over the next several years and I want to add quite a few new
circuits and I don't have the slots left in the current panel. I
really don't want to just add a sub panel, I would like to have a
second line into the house from the meter in for the second panel. Is
this possible? I would hand over all the work to a professional, but I
just want to know if what I want to do is possible.

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You can have as large a service, with as many panels as you please. I would
however recommend having an electrician evaluate your particular needs

wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it possible to upgrade my electric panel from a 200 amp service to a
300 or 400 amp service. I want to finish my basement and add a new
patio over the next several years and I want to add quite a few new
circuits and I don't have the slots left in the current panel. I
really don't want to just add a sub panel, I would like to have a
second line into the house from the meter in for the second panel. Is
this possible? I would hand over all the work to a professional, but I
just want to know if what I want to do is possible.

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, I thought it was possible, but I just wanted to make sure.
I'd sleep better at night with having more power spread across a second
service panel.

On Jan 2, 8:23 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
You can have as large a service, with as many panels as you please. I would
however recommend having an electrician evaluate your particular needs

wrote in oglegroups.com...

Is it possible to upgrade my electric panel from a 200 amp service to a
300 or 400 amp service. I want to finish my basement and add a new
patio over the next several years and I want to add quite a few new
circuits and I don't have the slots left in the current panel. I
really don't want to just add a sub panel, I would like to have a
second line into the house from the meter in for the second panel. Is
this possible? I would hand over all the work to a professional, but I
just want to know if what I want to do is possible.

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

In most residential applications, you'd be surprised at how little
electricity you tend to use most of the time

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

A larger size service will not give you more circuits if NEC has a limit on
the number of breakers in a box. You may find that you are required to have
one service disconnect per service, then divided up into multiple panels, or
simpler to just add a sub panel.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it possible to upgrade my electric panel from a 200 amp service to a
300 or 400 amp service. I want to finish my basement and add a new
patio over the next several years and I want to add quite a few new
circuits and I don't have the slots left in the current panel. I
really don't want to just add a sub panel, I would like to have a
second line into the house from the meter in for the second panel. Is
this possible? I would hand over all the work to a professional, but I
just want to know if what I want to do is possible.

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks, I thought it was possible, but I just wanted to make sure.
I'd sleep better at night with having more power spread across a second
service panel.

While you are sleeping, if you have a typical house, it is probably drawing
15 or 20A in that 200A panel. Have you ever taken an actual measurement of
how much power you use? Just get a clamp on Amprobe and watch it during
heavy use. The only really big users in most homes is electric heat and
central AC

Posted to alt.home.repair

Installing say a 32 space 125A sub panel will cost perhaps $1,000 while
installing a second 200A panel, new meter socket and having the utility
drop replaced will cost perhaps $5,000 (or more). I'd expect you can
find better things to do with the $4,000+ that would be wasted with the
400A service.

Why would installing a subpanel cost $1,000? Unless something is odd, it
can't take more than a couple hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:

Installing say a 32 space 125A sub panel will cost perhaps $1,000 while
installing a second 200A panel, new meter socket and having the utility
drop replaced will cost perhaps $5,000 (or more). I'd expect you can
find better things to do with the $4,000+ that would be wasted with the
400A service.

Why would installing a subpanel cost $1,000? Unless something is odd, it
can't take more than a couple hours.

That was a guestimate to include the cost of having an electrician do
the work as the OP noted and presumably install the new circuits into
the panel. If you were to DIY it it would be perhaps $300. The point was
the large cost difference between the sub panel which is needed and the
upgraded service which almost certainly is not needed.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it possible to upgrade my electric panel from a 200 amp service to a
300 or 400 amp service. I want to finish my basement and add a new
patio over the next several years and I want to add quite a few new
circuits and I don't have the slots left in the current panel. I
really don't want to just add a sub panel, I would like to have a
second line into the house from the meter in for the second panel. Is
this possible? I would hand over all the work to a professional, but I
just want to know if what I want to do is possible.

Thanks,

Did one years ago, 400A, 120/240V with backup generator. It was expensive
and a big jump in price from the typical 200A service.

I've heard someone has a 120/208, 3-phase service to his house too.