Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to stop ice from spilling on the floor.

Visiting my brother who has an LG refrigerator, LFC22740ST.

When I pull out the freezer drawer and then the ice tray, ice cubes get
knocked off the pile into the main drawer I think, and worse, behind the
drawer and then onto the floor. Up to 6 pieces of ice end up on t he
floor each time, and I have to pick each one up.

This is side-by-side with the freezer in a drawer at the bottom. So no
water in the door.

The pile of ice is 6" high or more. This apartment is vacant most of
the time until it's sublet and I'd like to turn off the icemaker, but
all I can find is Ice Plus, which will make even more ice.

I can't find a swtich to turn the icemaker off.

Googling just returns hits about water spilling on the floor, not ice.
And this model of LG is probably not listed on the LG site.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 11:09:43 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
Visiting my brother who has an LG refrigerator, LFC22740ST.

When I pull out the freezer drawer and then the ice tray, ice cubes get
knocked off the pile into the main drawer I think, and worse, behind the
drawer and then onto the floor. Up to 6 pieces of ice end up on t he
floor each time, and I have to pick each one up.

This is side-by-side with the freezer in a drawer at the bottom. So no
water in the door.

The pile of ice is 6" high or more. This apartment is vacant most of
the time until it's sublet and I'd like to turn off the icemaker, but
all I can find is Ice Plus, which will make even more ice.

I can't find a swtich to turn the icemaker off.

Googling just returns hits about water spilling on the floor, not ice.
And this model of LG is probably not listed on the LG site.

Most of the ice makers can be turned off by simply lifting the
measuring arm and locking it in the up position. If it's getting
too full, maybe the arm is bent? Some have an off slide switch,
but it should be obvious, nearby.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2017 9:09 AM, micky wrote:
I can't find a swtich to turn the icemaker off.

It's using water to make the ice, right, and not atmospheric
condensation. Turn the water off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 17 Nov 2017 09:31:18 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

The arm is bent but it looks like it was bent at the factory.

Some have an off slide switch,
but it should be obvious, nearby.

By golly. I'd looked but I looked harder.

Turned it off, next 2 or 3 times I got ice, no ice on the floor.

Until it's rented, my nephew uses this apartment like a clubhouse, with
one friend, but the ice there now should last 10 or 20 times even for 2
people. I'll tell him about turning it back on.

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 17 Nov 2017 20:21:22 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 11/17/2017 9:09 AM, micky wrote:
I can't find a swtich to turn the icemaker off.

It's using water to make the ice, right, and not atmospheric
condensation. Turn the water off.

They, even maybe my nephew, would never be able to turn it back on.
Even I have a lot of trouble seeing the tap, which is behind things.