Posted to alt.home.repair
FE FE is offline

Default Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice!

Hi,
We have an Amana side-by-side fridge. Recently, the ice maker keeps on
making ice even when the little metal arm is in the upright position. It
won't stop!

If someone has a solution, is it something a non-expert can handle, or
should I call in the repair guy?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bag it and sell it.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Can you see the switch and if it is actually
being tripped when the bar is up?

FE wrote:
Hi,
We have an Amana side-by-side fridge. Recently, the ice maker keeps on
making ice even when the little metal arm is in the upright position. It
won't stop!

If someone has a solution, is it something a non-expert can handle, or
should I call in the repair guy?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

try moving arm up, see if that helps...

many would love your problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, " wrote:
try moving arm up, see if that helps...

Missed this part of the original post, didja?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

FE wrote:
Hi,
We have an Amana side-by-side fridge. Recently, the ice maker keeps on
making ice even when the little metal arm is in the upright position. It
won't stop!

If someone has a solution, is it something a non-expert can handle, or
should I call in the repair guy?

Thanks!

Hi,

No model# posted but if the icemaker in this fridge is an module style,
one of the arms inside the module may be cracked or broken.

A copy:

A common complaint in the module style ice maker is that the ice
container bucket is over flowing with ice cubes, the ice maker seems to
be making too many. Once the ice maker is removed from the fridge, the
cover is removed and the module is removed ( 3 screws to remove the
module - it will then just left straight out ), there are plastic arms
that work with the wand arm ( the part that goes up and down with every
cycle ) these arms often break, which means a new module to repair this
problem. The replacement modules have a "beefier" set of plastic arms
that seem to work well. A common complaint in the module style ice
maker is that the ice container bucket is over flowing with ice cubes,
the ice maker seems to be making too many. Once the ice maker is
removed from the fridge, the cover is removed and the module is removed
( 3 screws to remove the module - it will then just left straight out
), there are plastic arms that work with the wand arm ( the part that
goes up and down with every cycle ) these arms often break, which means
a new module to repair this problem. The replacement modules have a
"beefier" set of plastic arms that seem to work well.

http://www.applianceaid.com/newpics/inside-modual.JPG

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

FE wrote:
Hi,
We have an Amana side-by-side fridge. Recently, the ice maker keeps on
making ice even when the little metal arm is in the upright position. It
won't stop!

If someone has a solution, is it something a non-expert can handle, or
should I call in the repair guy?

Thanks!

1. Check to see if an ice cube made its way onto the switch bar
mechanism and is preventing the bar from closing the switch.
2. Pull the unit out and defrost it. It could be frost in the switch
mechanism.
3. Call the repair guy.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 23:10:19 -0700, "FE"
wrote:

Hi,
We have an Amana side-by-side fridge. Recently, the ice maker keeps on
making ice even when the little metal arm is in the upright position. It
won't stop!

If someone has a solution, is it something a non-expert can handle, or
should I call in the repair guy?

Thanks!

Yours is probably like mine and the arm goes into the black sealed
module and you can't see anything.

Not much you can do but replace the whole module, so I'd consider
replacing the whole thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FE wrote:
Hi,
We have an Amana side-by-side fridge. Recently, the ice maker keeps on
making ice even when the little metal arm is in the upright position. It
won't stop!

If someone has a solution, is it something a non-expert can handle, or
should I call in the repair guy?

The clear solution is to make Margarita's 24/7.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,
We have an Amana side-by-side fridge. Recently, the ice maker keeps on
making ice even when the little metal arm is in the upright position. It
won't stop!

If someone has a solution, is it something a non-expert can handle, or
should I call in the repair guy?

Thanks!

Invite friends over for mixed drinks....
Problem solved

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

Just had a similar problem with my Kenmore Elite unit. Different model
so may not apply. Mine was apparently just frosted up, keeping the
supply valve from closing. Defrosted, and working fine. Might be
worth a shot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
FE FE is offline

"Willshak" wrote in message
FE wrote:
Hi,
We have an Amana side-by-side fridge. Recently, the ice maker keeps on
making ice even when the little metal arm is in the upright position.

It
won't stop!

If someone has a solution, is it something a non-expert can handle, or
should I call in the repair guy?

Thanks!

1. Check to see if an ice cube made its way onto the switch bar
mechanism and is preventing the bar from closing the switch.
2. Pull the unit out and defrost it. It could be frost in the switch
mechanism.
3. Call the repair guy.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
To Email, remove the double zeroes after 'at'

Thank you all for replying. The "stop the ice" metal bar actually goes into
an encased plastic body -- I don't see any type of switch where the bar
enters the body.

I am going to try the suggestion to "defrost" the unit to see if there is
anything inside the plastic body/module that is frozen and therefore keeping
the metal arm from doing its job.

There are electrical-looking cords connected to the icemaker body. I gently
tugged on them to see if I could get them out, but they don't budge (I
didn't want to break them). Is there a trick to getting these cords out so
I can "defrost" the module?

Thanks again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you move the arm up, then it's horizontal.

Of cours, an ice maker would make ice if the arm was upright.

Missed that?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...
In article .com,
" wrote:
try moving arm up, see if that helps...

Missed this part of the original post, didja?

"keeps on making ice even when the little metal arm is in the upright
position"

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

FE wrote:
"Willshak" wrote in message
FE wrote:
[...]

I expect it has a plug that plugs into a socket on the wall of the
refrig. The whole unit should be removable. Obviously the water is
already turned off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,
We have an Amana side-by-side fridge. Recently, the ice maker keeps on
making ice even when the little metal arm is in the upright position. It
won't stop!

If someone has a solution, is it something a non-expert can handle, or
should I call in the repair guy?

Thanks!

Wifey once pulled out the tray, and put it back without moving the arm
up. When she returned the tray, it popped the arm out of the socket.
So even though the arm was up, the icemaker couldn't tell.

So I would check if the arm is properly seated.

imho,

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com