Posted to alt.home.repair

Default can a rain chain work?

I never heard of a "rain chain" until today. Apparently they are popular in Japan.

It's a device that replaces your downspout and guides the water down.

Cleaning a downspout is a pain, if it worked it would be an improvement.

But getting the water away from the house is a priority. Has anyone tried these?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 07:40:57 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

I never heard of a "rain chain" until today. Apparently they are popular in Japan.
It's a device that replaces your downspout and guides the water down.
Cleaning a downspout is a pain, if it worked it would be an improvement.
But getting the water away from the house is a priority. Has anyone tried these?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,42194,33169

I wonder how they would hold-up in winter - with about 50 pounds of
ice clinging ... or how nice they look after a few months-worth of
filthy gutter goop washes over them after a dry spell...
For me - changing it over in spring and fall, and cleaning &
maintaining it would be far more trouble than a normal downspout.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 10:41:01 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
I never heard of a "rain chain" until today. Apparently they are popular in Japan.

It's a device that replaces your downspout and guides the water down.

Cleaning a downspout is a pain, if it worked it would be an improvement.

But getting the water away from the house is a priority. Has anyone tried these?

I've got one on an outbuilding with wide overhangs. I don't
worry that much about where the water goes. It dumps out onto
a big decorative rock at the bottom, which is slightly angled
away from the building. You could use a splashblock, I suppose.

The water doesn't always drop neatly down the chain; there's
a fair amount of splashing.

It withstands winter ice (Michigan), but my husband took
pretty good measures to ensure that the attachment point
was robust.

It services a very short run of gutter, which has a leaf
excluder of some sort of on it, so it doesn't get much gunk
coming down the chain.

I'm pretty satisfied with it in its current location, but
I doubt I'd put it on my house, which has no overhang or
soffit.

Incidentally, my husband fabricated a sort of snorkel for
the leaf blower, which we use to clean the gutters and
downspouts on our single-story house.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I never heard of a "rain chain" until today. Apparently they are popular in Japan.
It's a device that replaces your downspout and guides the water down.
Cleaning a downspout is a pain, if it worked it would be an improvement.
But getting the water away from the house is a priority. Has anyone tried these?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,42194,33169

I wonder how they would hold-up in winter - with about 50 pounds of
ice clinging ... or how nice they look after a few months-worth of
filthy gutter goop washes over them after a dry spell...
For me - changing it over in spring and fall, and cleaning &
maintaining it would be far more trouble than a normal downspout.
John T.

I have to clear gutters but not the downspout. This thing might make
gutter clog more easily as chain has to hang through it leaving debris
to clog smaller opening.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.usage.english,alt.usenet.kooks

Default TinyTimmy asks, "can a rain chain work?"

Checkmate! In article , burkesgurlz@std-
girls.com says...

On 11/15/2017 7:40 AM, TimR wrote:
I never heard of a "rain chain" until today. Apparently they are popular in Japan.

It's a device that replaces your downspout and guides the water down.

Cleaning a downspout is a pain, if it worked it would be an improvement.

But getting the water away from the house is a priority. Has anyone tried these?

All I can tell you is what I've heard in secret, that the rain in Spain stays mostly in the plain.
Questions?

I believe it's "mainly" in the plain, Kernel.

--
The Incredible, Invisible, Inflatable Eskimo!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2017 7:40 AM, TimR wrote:
I never heard of a "rain chain" until today. Apparently they are popular in Japan.

It's a device that replaces your downspout and guides the water down.

Cleaning a downspout is a pain, if it worked it would be an improvement.

But getting the water away from the house is a priority. Has anyone tried these?

I think they work OK for dribbles, but not for real gushers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2017 9:48 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Incidentally, my husband fabricated a sort of snorkel for
the leaf blower, which we use to clean the gutters and
downspouts on our single-story house.

Cindy Hamilton

Can you take a picture and publish a link?
I went up on the roof yesterday with a cordless
leaf blower and attempted to blow leaves out of the
gutter. I imagine it might work on dry leaves, but
was ineffective on wet maple leaves.

I have a much more powerful corded leaf blower,
but the end is too big to get into the gutter.

The shape of your snorkel would be helpful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The problem is getting the water attached to the chain.
Water dripping from the edge of the opening not close to the
chain will just ignore it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2017 10:57 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 07:40:57 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

I never heard of a "rain chain" until today.Â* Apparently they are
popular in Japan.
It's a device that replaces your downspout and guides the water down.
Cleaning a downspout is a pain, if it worked it would be an
improvement.
But getting the water away from the house is a priority.Â* Has anyone
tried these?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,42194,33169

I wonder how they would hold-up in winterÂ* -Â* with about 50 pounds of
ice clingingÂ* ...Â*Â* orÂ* how nice they look after a few months-worth of
filthy gutter goopÂ* washes over themÂ* after a dry spell...
For meÂ* -Â* changing it over in spring and fall,Â* and cleaning &
maintaining it would be far more trouble than a normal downspout.
Â*Â*Â* John T.

I have to clear gutters but not the downspout.Â* This thing might make
gutter clog more easily as chain has to hang through it leaving debris
to clog smaller opening.

The problem is getting the water attached to the chain.
Water dripping from the edge of the opening not close to the
chain will just ignore it.

Looking back at it to see how big the funnel part was and noticing cost
of a 3 foot section, the biggest impediment to me buying it would be my
cash flow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I never heard of a "rain chain" until today. Apparently they are popular in Japan.

It's a device that replaces your downspout and guides the water down.

Cleaning a downspout is a pain, if it worked it would be an improvement.

But getting the water away from the house is a priority. Has anyone tried these?

They DO work,andthey work well as long as it isn't TOO windy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 16:41:19 -0800, mike wrote:

On 11/15/2017 9:48 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Incidentally, my husband fabricated a sort of snorkel for
the leaf blower, which we use to clean the gutters and
downspouts on our single-story house.

Cindy Hamilton

Can you take a picture and publish a link?
I went up on the roof yesterday with a cordless
leaf blower and attempted to blow leaves out of the
gutter. I imagine it might work on dry leaves, but
was ineffective on wet maple leaves.

I have a much more powerful corded leaf blower,
but the end is too big to get into the gutter.

The shape of your snorkel would be helpful.

I use gutter guards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2017 7:57 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 16:41:19 -0800, mike wrote:

On 11/15/2017 9:48 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Incidentally, my husband fabricated a sort of snorkel for
the leaf blower, which we use to clean the gutters and
downspouts on our single-story house.

Cindy Hamilton

Can you take a picture and publish a link?
I went up on the roof yesterday with a cordless
leaf blower and attempted to blow leaves out of the
gutter. I imagine it might work on dry leaves, but
was ineffective on wet maple leaves.

I have a much more powerful corded leaf blower,
but the end is too big to get into the gutter.

The shape of your snorkel would be helpful.

I use gutter guards.

I'd like to hear more about that too.
I'm gettin' too old to hang on a ladder digging
leaves out of the gutter.

Costco had a demo of some that used surface tension
to route the water around a curve in the top section into
the trough. Works great with low water volume and no debris.
What happens when it's raining like hell and there's more water
than surface tension can wrap around the edge?

The type that's just a screen seems like it would plug up with
leaves too. I've got tiny pine needles and huge maple leaves.

Which kind do you have? How well do they work in a downpour?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 7:42:42 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
On 11/15/2017 9:48 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Incidentally, my husband fabricated a sort of snorkel for
the leaf blower, which we use to clean the gutters and
downspouts on our single-story house.

Cindy Hamilton

Can you take a picture and publish a link?
I went up on the roof yesterday with a cordless
leaf blower and attempted to blow leaves out of the
gutter. I imagine it might work on dry leaves, but
was ineffective on wet maple leaves.

I have a much more powerful corded leaf blower,
but the end is too big to get into the gutter.

The shape of your snorkel would be helpful.

It might take a few days. Meanwhile, I'll describe it.

The current one is schedule 80 PVC. The predecessor was schedule 40.

I'm pretty sure it's 4" at the point where it joins the leaf blower
and has a reducing union somewhere to increase the pressure at
the outlet.

The top is made of elbows and is un-cemented so he can twist it
around as needed for horizontal flow or remove one for vertical
flow to blow down the downspout.

The really tricky part was softening the PVC and working it so
that it slots right in to the connector on the leaf blower. I
can't remember if he used a heat gun or the gas grill.

Now, I'm off to work. Got to earn the money to pay for his
toys. That's fair. He pays for everything else. (Actually,
we have complete join finances and it's impossible to know
which paycheck the money came from.)

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 10:58:05 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 16:41:19 -0800, mike wrote:

On 11/15/2017 9:48 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Incidentally, my husband fabricated a sort of snorkel for
the leaf blower, which we use to clean the gutters and
downspouts on our single-story house.

Cindy Hamilton

Can you take a picture and publish a link?
I went up on the roof yesterday with a cordless
leaf blower and attempted to blow leaves out of the
gutter. I imagine it might work on dry leaves, but
was ineffective on wet maple leaves.

I have a much more powerful corded leaf blower,
but the end is too big to get into the gutter.

The shape of your snorkel would be helpful.

I use gutter guards.

We use them too, but the quantity of mature maples around
our house requires us to blow the leaves (and in the spring,
the spinners) off the top of the gutter guards. They make it
easy, though.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-11-16, Clare Snyder wrote:

I use gutter guards.

.....which are typically made of plastic! Plastic that rots and falls
apart under UV light (sun). I'm still picking up old plastic 'gutter
guard' pieces off my deck. 8|

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-11-16, Clare Snyder wrote:

I use gutter guards.

....which are typically made of plastic! Plastic that rots and falls
apart under UV light (sun). I'm still picking up old plastic 'gutter
guard' pieces off my deck. 8|

nb

Ours are aluminum.

https://www.amazon.com/Leaf-Relief-Gutter-Guard-pack/dp/B0056F10L2

There are two styles of this brand. One is intended for new
work; the other is meant to be installed when the gutters are
already hung. We've only used the former.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 10:41:01 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
I never heard of a "rain chain" until today. Apparently they are popular in Japan.

It's a device that replaces your downspout and guides the water down.

Cleaning a downspout is a pain, if it worked it would be an improvement.

But getting the water away from the house is a priority. Has anyone tried these?

I've never had to clean a downspout of debris. It's always the gutters
that get clogged with leaves and the opening at the top of the downspout.
Seems to me you'd have the same problem with a chain, maybe worse,
because the opening would have the chain in the middle of it. So,
I'm not sure what exactly the point is to a chain, except as a novelty
thing to look at.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Taxed and Spent posted for all of us...

On 11/15/2017 7:40 AM, TimR wrote:
I never heard of a "rain chain" until today. Apparently they are popular in Japan.

It's a device that replaces your downspout and guides the water down.

Cleaning a downspout is a pain, if it worked it would be an improvement.

But getting the water away from the house is a priority. Has anyone tried these?

I think they work OK for dribbles, but not for real gushers.

I have Gutter Helmet.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 7:42:42 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
On 11/15/2017 9:48 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Incidentally, my husband fabricated a sort of snorkel for
the leaf blower, which we use to clean the gutters and
downspouts on our single-story house.

Cindy Hamilton

Can you take a picture and publish a link?
I went up on the roof yesterday with a cordless
leaf blower and attempted to blow leaves out of the
gutter. I imagine it might work on dry leaves, but
was ineffective on wet maple leaves.

I have a much more powerful corded leaf blower,
but the end is too big to get into the gutter.

The shape of your snorkel would be helpful.

Ok, I took some pictures. I've never done this online photo
sharing thing before. I think this is the link:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMhqvuZYkSt2_wst1ov4vPT4fA04nF9xKZYv3ABGyrEGH mTWuNSxaCfIvLicG__yA?key=VUxMRXotQ3d1ZEtfOGhxRDE3S VhLT2Rqd2dDQlRB

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 2:14:02 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

Very impressive shaping job on that PVC pipe where it attaches to the
blower. If I ever need any custom shaped, I know where to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2017 11:13 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

Thanks,
I have the same blower...and the same garage door in the same color.

My cordless blower was useless. Maybe this will help the other one
do something useful.
I just spent an hour on a ladder picking 30 gallons of leaves out of the
gutter. Don't wanna do that any more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Wow, very nice work. Kudos!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 1:14:02 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

Proof that girls can do stuff and aren't just cootie repositories. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Impressed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 12:51:47 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I haven't thought about cooties in quite some time.

When we used the thing this year, he let me take a turn with it. I can't
say it was fun, but I felt like I was pulling my weight in the family.

Yesterday I helped him vacuum-seal venison for the freezer.

Cindy Hamilton