Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT The 278 mph Koenigsegg Agera RS

Tested outside Las Vegas this weekend. Fastest production car.

Video (mid page)

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/11/06/278-mph-koenigsegg-agera-rs-is-new-worlds-fastest-car.html

Buckle up
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/6/2017 11:57 AM, Oren wrote:
Tested outside Las Vegas this weekend. Fastest production car.

Video (mid page)

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/11/06/278-mph-koenigsegg-agera-rs-is-new-worlds-fastest-car.html

Buckle up

Cool. I'm going to buy one as soon as they raise the speed limit on the
Interstate to 200 mph. Aside from being a penis enlarger few people
will ever get the benefit of it all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
Tested outside Las Vegas this weekend. Fastest production car.

Video (mid page)

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/11/06/278-mph-koenigsegg-agera-rs-is-new-worlds-fastest-car.html

Buckle up

What production tires can handle 278 mph?

Who has the reaction time to handle 278 mph?

Great death wish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/6/2017 9:18 PM, catalpa wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message
Tested outside Las Vegas this weekend. Fastest production car.

Video (mid page)

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/11/06/278-mph-koenigsegg-agera-rs-is-new-worlds-fastest-car.html

Buckle up

What production tires can handle 278 mph?

Who has the reaction time to handle 278 mph?

Great death wish.

Its for people with more money than common sense.

There are tires available but they cost a lot and don't last long. I
found this about the Veyron.

https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20588
2013 Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse Front End On Track VW engineers
made Raphanel run both directions along the 5.6-mile straight on the
eastern side of the Ehra-Lessien track to get the record, because they
knew the Super Sport's tires could not handle the g-loading on the
gently curved western section at V-max. Michelin will only allow two
sets of tires -- they cost about $42,000 a set -- be fitted to the
Veyron before the rims -- $69,000 a set -- also have to be replaced to
ensure the integrity of the bead seal at high speed.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exo ... rst_drive/

Even rims need to be replaced every other to fourth tire change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
[...]

Way worse than I thought.

Not only eats expensive custom tires, eats the expensive custom rims to
boot.

I'll stick to the 150 mph cars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
[...]

Sure, but on roads with a 250 mph speed limit you won't be able to keep
up with traffic.

My car is supposed to be capable of 150. I did get to 125 a couple of
times but even that was only for a few seconds as it would get me into
traffic shortly. I also don't need the reckless driving arrest. Most
states get you good for 20 over the posted limit.

Sure, it is fun to build things like that but it will never be
practical. Toys for the rich.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
Tested outside Las Vegas this weekend. Fastest production car.

Video (mid page)

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/11/06/278-mph-koenigsegg-agera-rs-is-new-worlds-fastest-car.html

Buckle up

What production tires can handle 278 mph?

Who has the reaction time to handle 278 mph?

Great death wish.

I did a back of the envelope energy calculation at that speed for a two
ton vehicle and got a number I can't believe. It was about the energy
equivalent of getting shot by 1,000 50 cal BMG's.

When I worked in fibers R&D we had a step-load endurance test for tires
where weight was increased with speed until failure. You would be
frightened if you saw how tires might behave at high speed before
failure with waves going through the tire.

When I looked at the video, I was thinking what might happen if a jack
rabbit had jumped in front of the car. If it were a deer, you could
kiss the deer, driver and car goodbye.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/07/2017 06:20 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Sure, it is fun to build things like that but it will never be
practical.Â* Toys for the rich.

Hey, it employees a lot of people!

My only gripe is when their friends in government (the swamp)
threaten the rest of us with loss of liberty and imprisonment
to subsidize toys for the rich (Tesla, solar power, corn
alcohol would be good examples).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 19:42:55 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

When I looked at the video, I was thinking what might happen if a jack
rabbit had jumped in front of the car. If it were a deer, you could
kiss the deer, driver and car goodbye.

In that area it would likely be a coyote, a wild burro or a big horn
sheep. Often seen along the road.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 19:42:55 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

You would be
frightened if you saw how tires might behave at high speed before
failure with waves going through the tire.

When I first saw the run, my thought was did they clean or sweep the
road. Airstrips, like military bases have a FOD walk. Folks pick up
"any" foreign object debris" (FOD).

It takes just a small item in a tire to mess up your day at that
speed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...

"Oren" wrote in message
Tested outside Las Vegas this weekend. Fastest production car.

Video (mid page)

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/11/06/278-mph-koenigsegg-agera-rs-is-new-worlds-fastest-car.html

Buckle up

What production tires can handle 278 mph?

Who has the reaction time to handle 278 mph?

Great death wish.

I did a back of the envelope energy calculation at that speed for a two
ton vehicle and got a number I can't believe. It was about the energy
equivalent of getting shot by 1,000 50 cal BMG's.

The Agera RS only weighs about a ton and a half, but I'd bet that
adjusting your calculation to reflect the lesser weight still produces
an eye-opening number.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...

"Oren" wrote in message
Tested outside Las Vegas this weekend. Fastest production car.

Video (mid page)

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/11/06/278-mph-koenigsegg-agera-rs-is-new-worlds-fastest-car.html

Buckle up

What production tires can handle 278 mph?

Who has the reaction time to handle 278 mph?

Great death wish.

I did a back of the envelope energy calculation at that speed for a two
ton vehicle and got a number I can't believe. It was about the energy
equivalent of getting shot by 1,000 50 cal BMG's.

The Agera RS only weighs about a ton and a half, but I'd bet that
adjusting your calculation to reflect the lesser weight still produces
an eye-opening number.

That would mean 25% less energy. The equation is mass times velocity
squared. The formula I use is for firearms and uses grains for mass and
feet per second to give answer in foot pounds. I used my weight and
speed when I had a bicycle accident at 20 mph and it was equivalent to
getting shot with a 30-30. Broke my helmet and fractured my collarbone.
I quit cycling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/09/2017 04:51 AM, Frank wrote:
The equation is mass times velocity squared.

Energy = (1/2) * Mass * velocity squared