Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Questions ?

Hello,

Thanks for suggestions re my son's automatic garage door opener cycling
by itself. (single door garage; typical home garage and door)

It's a pretty old unit, and does not even have the optical safety door
stops.

So, perhaps it's time to consider a new one.
Haven't looked at these things in many years.

So, let me please ask:

a. What are the "name" brands these days, and even more important, which
brands to stay away from ?

b. What "features" do we want to be sure to get with ?
e.g., Type of "Drive" ?
Options to consider ?

c. anything else we should be asking ?

BTW: what's the typical price for one, with installation these days ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2017 6:39 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for suggestions re my son's automatic garage door opener cycling
by itself. (single door garage; typical home garage and door)

It's a pretty old unit, and does not even have the optical safety door
stops.

So, perhaps it's time to consider a new one.
Haven't looked at these things in many years.

So, let me please ask:

a. What are the "name" brands these days, and even more important, which
brands to stay away from ?

b. What "features" do we want to be sure to get with ?
Â*Â* e.g., Type of "Drive" ?
Â*Â* Options to consider ?

c. anything else we should be asking ?

BTW:Â* what's the typical price for one, with installation these days ?

Thanks,
Bob

IMO, Chamberlain, which is made by Liftmaster who also make Craftsman,

If the garage is attached, I suggest a belt drive for quietness. IF you
want connection to the internet, get the Chamberlain My-Q. You can
control the door via phone app as well as be alerted when the door opens
and closes. Chamberlain also offers other controllers for lamps and
devices which you can turn on/off from the app. Great when/if you're on
vacation.

Price varies on the type of features and drive, and if you get internet
connection but typically $200 to $300.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 7:00:49 AM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:
On 10/8/2017 6:39 AM, Bob wrote:
[...]

I have a Liftmaster that's 33 years old now, it's the main opener and
still working. I also have a Craftsman on the second door, 10 years
works fine too. I've had another Craftsman in another house, no
problems with that either.

Noise and whether to go with a belt, I'd say it's more than just if
it's an attached garage, it's where the garage is located. If it's
adjacent to a bedroom, that's usually when noise becomes an issue.

How much they are now, IDK, that Craftsman one 10 years ago was ~$150,
I put it in myself. Whether it's worth more for extra features,
eg to be able to check on the door, close it via internet, is a
personal choice. On mine, it would be nice to have a feature where
it alerts if it's open after a set time, like 10PM.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/08/2017 06:39 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for suggestions re my son's automatic garage door opener cycling by itself. (single door garage; typical home garage and door)

It's a pretty old unit, and does not even have the optical safety door stops.

So, perhaps it's time to consider a new one.
Haven't looked at these things in many years.

So, let me please ask:

a. What are the "name" brands these days, and even more important, which brands to stay away from ?

b. What "features" do we want to be sure to get with ?
Â*Â* e.g., Type of "Drive" ?
Â*Â* Options to consider ?

c. anything else we should be asking ?

BTW:Â* what's the typical price for one, with installation these days ?

Thanks,
Bob

Chamberlain

$99-$249 plus install

Took me about 90 minutes to install mine but then I'd never done one before.Â* I suppose a factory-trained trunk monkey could knock one out in an hour.

belt drive models are more expensive but much quieter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2017 6:39 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for suggestions re my son's automatic garage door opener cycling
by itself. (single door garage; typical home garage and door)

It's a pretty old unit, and does not even have the optical safety door
stops.

So, perhaps it's time to consider a new one.
Haven't looked at these things in many years.

So, let me please ask:

a. What are the "name" brands these days, and even more important, which
brands to stay away from ?

b. What "features" do we want to be sure to get with ?
Â*Â* e.g., Type of "Drive" ?
Â*Â* Options to consider ?

c. anything else we should be asking ?

BTW:Â* what's the typical price for one, with installation these days ?

Thanks,
Bob

I've been happy with a Chamberlain for about 10 years now, belt drive.
I don't know about other brands as this is something you don't buy often
and don't do a lot of trying out.

My advice is to avoid the cheapest model from any brand and expect to
pay about $200. It is not hard to do DIY but you can probably get one
installed for about $100. At work we had a couple from Overhead Door
and they worked well too.

I found the reflectors a PITS to set up so they reside in the rafters
looking at each other for eternity. No little kids here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 9:48:02 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/8/2017 6:39 AM, Bob wrote:
[...]

One nice thing about the light beam sensors is that at night, if the
door is open and the light is out, when you walk in and break the beam,
it turns the opener light on for you. But the downside is that they
can be a PIA, typically with a dangling leaf making it reverse. Or
they can go out of alignment. And they are one more step in the install
process, running the wires, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 06:39:48 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for suggestions re my son's automatic garage door opener cycling
by itself. (single door garage; typical home garage and door)

It's a pretty old unit, and does not even have the optical safety door
stops.

So, perhaps it's time to consider a new one.
Haven't looked at these things in many years.

So, let me please ask:

a. What are the "name" brands these days, and even more important, which
brands to stay away from ?

b. What "features" do we want to be sure to get with ?
e.g., Type of "Drive" ?
Options to consider ?

c. anything else we should be asking ?

BTW: what's the typical price for one, with installation these days ?

Thanks,
Bob

Disclaimer: I am biased for these garage doors. I've seen about ten
(10) installed in single door, double door and large RV garages. They
are the quietest doors - period. http://www.martindoor.com/

I have one installed.

HD or Lowe's may have a working miniature display you can look at or
operate. The rail mounts are stronger (less vibrations). rollers are
nylon (no metal to metal sound (less vibration). Great insulation.
Mine even qualified for a federal tax credit.

It all depends on what works for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 4:00:55 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
[...]

What works for him is that he's considering a new garage door opener,
not a new garage door. But then you can't distinguish between orange
clowns and presidents either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/17 5:39 AM, Bob wrote:

Some cut about a garage door opener.
So, let me please ask:

a. What are the "name" brands these days, and even more important, which
brands to stay away from ?

b. What "features" do we want to be sure to get with ?
Â*Â* e.g., Type of "Drive" ?
Â*Â* Options to consider ?

c. anything else we should be asking ?

BTW:Â* what's the typical price for one, with installation these days ?

Thanks,
Bob

Some on Amazon if you want some more opinions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 13:33:06 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

What works for him is that he's considering a new garage door opener,
not a new garage door. But then you can't distinguish between orange
clowns and presidents either.

The subject question was: " Garage Door Questions ?"

That would include a door. Don't get all New Jersey uppity to me.

"But then you can't distinguish between orange clowns and presidents
either."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 09:35:42 -0400, Bob D wrote:

[...]

Took me about 90 minutes to install mine but then I'd never done one before.* I suppose a factory-trained trunk monkey could knock one out in an hour.

belt drive models are more expensive but much quieter.

Installing a replacement takes a lot less time than a fresh install.
Changed mine last time in about half an hour - replaced an old Stanley
with a used Genie Track Drive on a one piece swing-up - side mounted
with mechanical limit switches.