Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_7_] Meanie[_7_] is offline

Default Garage Door Questions ?

On 10/8/2017 6:39 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for suggestions re my son's automatic garage door opener cycling
by itself. (single door garage; typical home garage and door)

It's a pretty old unit, and does not even have the optical safety door
stops.

So, perhaps it's time to consider a new one.
Haven't looked at these things in many years.

So, let me please ask:

a. What are the "name" brands these days, and even more important, which
brands to stay away from ?

b. What "features" do we want to be sure to get with ?
Â*Â* e.g., Type of "Drive" ?
Â*Â* Options to consider ?

c. anything else we should be asking ?

BTW:Â* what's the typical price for one, with installation these days ?

Thanks,
Bob

IMO, Chamberlain, which is made by Liftmaster who also make Craftsman,

If the garage is attached, I suggest a belt drive for quietness. IF you
want connection to the internet, get the Chamberlain My-Q. You can
control the door via phone app as well as be alerted when the door opens
and closes. Chamberlain also offers other controllers for lamps and
devices which you can turn on/off from the app. Great when/if you're on
vacation.

Price varies on the type of features and drive, and if you get internet
connection but typically $200 to $300.