Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Questions ?

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 09:35:42 -0400, Bob D wrote:

On 10/08/2017 06:39 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for suggestions re my son's automatic garage door opener cycling by itself. (single door garage; typical home garage and door)

It's a pretty old unit, and does not even have the optical safety door stops.

So, perhaps it's time to consider a new one.
Haven't looked at these things in many years.

So, let me please ask:

a. What are the "name" brands these days, and even more important, which brands to stay away from ?

b. What "features" do we want to be sure to get with ?
** e.g., Type of "Drive" ?
** Options to consider ?

c. anything else we should be asking ?

BTW:* what's the typical price for one, with installation these days ?

Thanks,
Bob

Chamberlain

$99-$249 plus install

Took me about 90 minutes to install mine but then I'd never done one before.* I suppose a factory-trained trunk monkey could knock one out in an hour.

belt drive models are more expensive but much quieter.

Installing a replacement takes a lot less time than a fresh install.
Changed mine last time in about half an hour - replaced an old Stanley
with a used Genie Track Drive on a one piece swing-up - side mounted
with mechanical limit switches.