Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Garage Door Questions ?

On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 4:00:55 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 06:39:48 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for suggestions re my son's automatic garage door opener cycling
by itself. (single door garage; typical home garage and door)

It's a pretty old unit, and does not even have the optical safety door
stops.

So, perhaps it's time to consider a new one.
Haven't looked at these things in many years.

So, let me please ask:

a. What are the "name" brands these days, and even more important, which
brands to stay away from ?

b. What "features" do we want to be sure to get with ?
e.g., Type of "Drive" ?
Options to consider ?

c. anything else we should be asking ?

BTW: what's the typical price for one, with installation these days ?

Thanks,
Bob

Disclaimer: I am biased for these garage doors. I've seen about ten
(10) installed in single door, double door and large RV garages. They
are the quietest doors - period. http://www.martindoor.com/

I have one installed.

HD or Lowe's may have a working miniature display you can look at or
operate. The rail mounts are stronger (less vibrations). rollers are
nylon (no metal to metal sound (less vibration). Great insulation.
Mine even qualified for a federal tax credit.

It all depends on what works for you.

What works for him is that he's considering a new garage door opener,
not a new garage door. But then you can't distinguish between orange
clowns and presidents either.