Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grrrrr what is going on here?

I've just installed a ceiling fan , there was no prior fan but there was a
switch at the door that controlled an outlet . the switch simply had a 12-2 w
ground going into it. Its a spst switch so black is going into switch as well
as the white . now I tried running from power supply into switch out to fan
and ran the white past switch right to tbe white on fan no luck I'm getting
power to the fan but it's a remote fan an light with dimmer remote I tried
every way that ive been reading . can anyone explain how to wire this I've got
12-2 with ground at switch with white being hot I need it switched and fan
tied in to the switch ?
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/b3

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Luckyaron, Iggy wrote:
White's supposed to be neutral, not hot. So, you should connect the Black Fan
wire to the White wire. The White Fan wire then connects to the Black wire.
You should be good to go then. Though, you should put tape on the house White
and label it as Hot and label the house Black as neutral.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1146349-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/17 7:14 AM, Luckyaron wrote:
I've just installed a ceiling fan , there was no prior fan but there was a
switch at the door that controlled an outlet . the switch simply had a
12-2 w
ground going into it. Its a spst switch so black is going into switch as
well
as the white . now I tried running from power supply into switch out to fan
and ran the white past switch right to tbe white on fan no luck I'm getting
power to the fan but it's a remote fan an light with dimmer remote I tried
every way that ive been reading . can anyone explain how to wire this
I've got
12-2 with groundÂ* at switchÂ* with white being hot I need it switched and
fan
tied in to the switch ? https://www.homeownershub.com/img/b3

Safety warning. Turn the power off at the main breaker before
doing anything wiring related. Who knows what someone might've done
before you.
The black should be the power supply to the switch. The white
should be connected to the switch also. It will be the power supply to
the fan when the switch is turned on.
Mark it with colored tape at both ends to show it can be hot. Hook
that white wire to the fans colored, probably black, wire. There
should be another white wire there at the outlet. The fan's white wire
connects to that. That second white wire is the neutral and shouldn't
be switched.
You should've been able to leave the wiring at the switch as it
was. The only necessary wiring changes should've been at the outlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/06/2017 08:14 AM, Luckyaron wrote:
I've just installed a ceiling fan , there was no prior fan but there was a
switch at the door that controlled an outlet . the switch simply had a 12-2 w
ground going into it. Its a spst switch so black is going into switch as well
as the white . now I tried running from power supply into switch out to fan
and ran the white past switch right to tbe white on fan no luck I'm getting
power to the fan but it's a remote fan an light with dimmer remote I tried
every way that ive been reading . can anyone explain how to wire this I've got
12-2 with groundÂ* at switchÂ* with white being hot I need it switched and fan
tied in to the switch ? https://www.homeownershub.com/img/b3

most ceiling fans (but not all) are wired as follows

-black wire is motor

-blue wire is light

-white wire is common/neutral

-green is ground

Screwfix...Grrrrr.!!!! Stuart UK diy 19 March 10th 06 01:46 PM
Grrrrr Steve B Metalworking 10 March 5th 06 09:41 PM
Grrrrr B&Q Grrrrrr UPDATE - SUCCESS Dave UK diy 3 October 27th 05 02:47 PM
Grrrrr B&Q Grrrrrr Dave UK diy 107 October 21st 05 02:42 PM
Help! Insufficient head for modern taps grrrrr :@ [UK]CuteSpunkyLad UK diy 6 September 3rd 03 10:01 AM