Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HD antenna installation question

I'm thinking of installing an HD antenna either in the attic or on the roof
to be rid of cable video. However I'm wondering if I can hook up the
antenna to the existing coax in the attic that runs to the various rooms in
my house. Will one antenna work on 2+ TVs at the same time?

The national network stations are at least 30 miles away, but they're all
in the same general direction so I'm thinking a directional antenna would
work. I do have a large maple tree in the direct line of sight though. Not
sure if that will be a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 7:46:25 PM UTC-4, badgolferman wrote:
I'm thinking of installing an HD antenna either in the attic or on the roof
to be rid of cable video. However I'm wondering if I can hook up the
antenna to the existing coax in the attic that runs to the various rooms in
my house. Will one antenna work on 2+ TVs at the same time?

The national network stations are at least 30 miles away, but they're all
in the same general direction so I'm thinking a directional antenna would
work. I do have a large maple tree in the direct line of sight though. Not
sure if that will be a problem.

You can try it. The more cable runs, the more splits and things sharing the signal from the antenna, the weaker it will be. But it only has to be good enough to work, extra doesn't get you anything more. There are amplifiers available to boost the signal if you need to split it and that may work too. Used to be a website antennaweb.org I think where you could put your location in and it would show what you could receive,what direction and what kind of antenna is recommended.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 6:46:25 PM UTC-5, badgolferman wrote:
I'm thinking of installing an HD antenna either in the attic or on the roof
to be rid of cable video. However I'm wondering if I can hook up the
antenna to the existing coax in the attic that runs to the various rooms in
my house. Will one antenna work on 2+ TVs at the same time?

The national network stations are at least 30 miles away, but they're all
in the same general direction so I'm thinking a directional antenna would
work. I do have a large maple tree in the direct line of sight though. Not
sure if that will be a problem.

If you install an amplified antenna in your attic, you must consider how the heat would affect the electronics in the amplifier. I'd be more concerned with hills or mountains between you and the TV stations. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle RF Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
I'm thinking of installing an HD antenna either in the attic or on the roof
to be rid of cable video. However I'm wondering if I can hook up the
antenna to the existing coax in the attic that runs to the various rooms in
my house. Will one antenna work on 2+ TVs at the same time?

The national network stations are at least 30 miles away, but they're all
in the same general direction so I'm thinking a directional antenna would
work. I do have a large maple tree in the direct line of sight though. Not
sure if that will be a problem.

Make sure your TV sets have a digital tuner so you can receive all the channels you now get on cable
video. Any set built from 2007 on should have a digital tuner. I you have a set older than 2007 you
would have to buy an external digital tuner and feed that with the coax.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2017 7:46 PM, badgolferman wrote:
I'm thinking of installing an HD antenna either in the attic or on the roof
to be rid of cable video. However I'm wondering if I can hook up the
antenna to the existing coax in the attic that runs to the various rooms in
my house. Will one antenna work on 2+ TVs at the same time?

The national network stations are at least 30 miles away, but they're all
in the same general direction so I'm thinking a directional antenna would
work. I do have a large maple tree in the direct line of sight though. Not
sure if that will be a problem.

I use an omni-directional OTA antenna with a 100 mile range installed 10
feet from the highest pitch of my home. This eliminates the need to
point the antenna in the direction of a signal and will grab signals
from 360 degrees.

Yes, you can use the existing coaxial cables and one antenna will work
for 2 TVs and more. Though, keep in mind, with each split to a different
device, you lose signal strength. Therefore, use an amplified splitter.
But with only 2 TVs, you will not notice much signal loss.

Usually, a tree will not cause a problem but the higher you mount the
antenna, the better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Usually, a tree will not cause a problem but the higher you mount the
antenna, the better.

Its a good idea to run a ground wire from the antenna mast to cold water pipe or other ground in your house and to a ground rod outside.

Lightning is a rare but possible issue.