Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_7_] Meanie[_7_] is offline

Default HD antenna installation question

On 9/17/2017 7:46 PM, badgolferman wrote:
I'm thinking of installing an HD antenna either in the attic or on the roof
to be rid of cable video. However I'm wondering if I can hook up the
antenna to the existing coax in the attic that runs to the various rooms in
my house. Will one antenna work on 2+ TVs at the same time?

The national network stations are at least 30 miles away, but they're all
in the same general direction so I'm thinking a directional antenna would
work. I do have a large maple tree in the direct line of sight though. Not
sure if that will be a problem.

I use an omni-directional OTA antenna with a 100 mile range installed 10
feet from the highest pitch of my home. This eliminates the need to
point the antenna in the direction of a signal and will grab signals
from 360 degrees.

Yes, you can use the existing coaxial cables and one antenna will work
for 2 TVs and more. Though, keep in mind, with each split to a different
device, you lose signal strength. Therefore, use an amplified splitter.
But with only 2 TVs, you will not notice much signal loss.

Usually, a tree will not cause a problem but the higher you mount the
antenna, the better.