Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Steel shed with plywood base ?

I am buying a steel shed , it has insulation(kingspan) on the inside .. if I
apply treated plywood as the base would I still get condensation ? The shed is
only 7ftx8ft. Please help

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1143978-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 8:44:12 PM UTC-4, Jess123 wrote:
I am buying a steel shed , it has insulation(kingspan) on the inside .. if I
apply treated plywood as the base would I still get condensation ? The shed is
only 7ftx8ft. Please help

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1143978-.htm

Does it have some vents? Soffit? In the gables or a ridge vent?
Venting is key to avoiding condensation. The ones for sale around
here generally have venting. Plywood floor is fine. Mine has one
and no condensation problems. Of course climate is probably a factor
too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 00:44:04 GMT, Jess123
m wrote:

I am buying a steel shed , it has insulation(kingspan) on the inside .. if I
apply treated plywood as the base would I still get condensation ? The shed is
only 7ftx8ft. Please help

Doubt it will make a lot of difference. If you have no base now, you
want a plastic sheet for moisture barrier, then plywood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I am buying a steel shed , it has insulation(kingspan) on the inside .. if I
apply treated plywood as the base would I still get condensation ? The shed is
only 7ftx8ft. Please help

Doubt it will make a lot of difference. If you have no base now, you
want a plastic sheet for moisture barrier, then plywood.

Or have it elevated on pressure treated supports so that the floor
is off the ground. Which I think is better, because even with
plastic, isn't water going to get between the floor and the plastic
anyway and stay trapped there? I have a base of washed stone,
then pressure treated wood that's couple inches thick that
supports it and keeps it off the ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I am buying a steel shed , it has insulation(kingspan) on the inside .. if I
apply treated plywood as the base would I still get condensation ? The shed is
only 7ftx8ft. Please help

Help is here - never worry .

1. a structure that is 7 x 8 feet is not a shed.
.. it's barely a closet
2. a structure that is 7 x 8 feet is not steel
.. it's tin
3. a structure that is 7 x 8 feet might well benefit from
a stable base of patio stones. - never wood.

Most people think that moisture comes from the ground -
when it's actually in the air - all around us.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/12/2017 08:44 PM, Jess123 wrote:
I am buying a steel shed , it has insulation(kingspan) on the inside .. if I
apply treated plywood as the base would I still get condensation ? The shed is
only 7ftx8ft. Please help

Today's pressure treated lumber and steel don't mix.

http://www.ggashi.com/wordpress/wp-c...-Corrosion.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jess123, WAdams wrote:
I would suggest you to go with the consultation of professional.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1143978-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2017 7:05 PM, wrote:

2. a structure that is 7 x 8 feet is not steel
.. it's tin

Really? Tin is a different element than steel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2017 10:31 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 05:06:29 -0400, Lou wrote:

On 09/12/2017 08:44 PM, Jess123 wrote:
I am buying a steel shed , it has insulation(kingspan) on the inside .. if I
apply treated plywood as the base would I still get condensation ? The shed is
only 7ftx8ft. Please help

Today's pressure treated lumber and steel don't mix.

http://www.ggashi.com/wordpress/wp-c...-Corrosion.pdf

That is a great link with very useful information, thanks!

Pressure treated lumber is nasty stuff.

I built a deck 8 years ago and all the "special coated deck screws" rusted through, had to totally rebuild it last spring with stainless hardware.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 13:14:03 GMT, WAdams
m wrote:

replying to Jess123, WAdams wrote:
I would suggest you to go with the consultation of professional.

Why?! This is a DIY project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to Jess123, WAdams wrote:
I would suggest you to go with the consultation of professional.

Why?! This is a DIY project.

DIY's are not allowed to ask professionals for advice? Wow, I guess I've been doing it all wrong
for decades. I should have figuring it out on my own or only asking other novices. I'll have to
change my strategy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to Jess123, WAdams wrote:
I would suggest you to go with the consultation of professional.

Why?! This is a DIY project.

DIY's are not allowed to ask professionals for advice? Wow, I guess I've been doing it all wrong
for decades. I should have figuring it out on my own or only asking other novices. I'll have to
change my strategy.

The way I read the suggestion was he should hire someone the likes of a
professional engineer. The kind that charges $200 an hour. Have you
done that?

We are fortunate to have some professionals here that give good advice
for free. Nothing wrong with sking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to Jess123, WAdams wrote:
I would suggest you to go with the consultation of professional.

Why?! This is a DIY project.

DIY's are not allowed to ask professionals for advice? Wow, I guess I've been doing it all wrong
for decades. I should have figuring it out on my own or only asking other novices. I'll have to
change my strategy.

The way I read the suggestion was he should hire someone the likes of a
professional engineer. The kind that charges $200 an hour. Have you
done that?

The way I read the suggestion was that he should ask an expert for advice. That is one of the
definitions of "consultation". There is no requirement that payment be involved in order for a
consultation to take place.

We are fortunate to have some professionals here that give good advice
for free. Nothing wrong with sking.

And I am fortunate to know professionals who give free advice out here in the real world too.
I am one of them. Nothing wrong with asking them (or me) either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to Jess123, WAdams wrote:
I would suggest you to go with the consultation of professional.

Why?! This is a DIY project.

DIY's are not allowed to ask professionals for advice? Wow, I guess I've been doing it all wrong
for decades. I should have figuring it out on my own or only asking other novices. I'll have to
change my strategy.

The way I read the suggestion was he should hire someone the likes of a
professional engineer. The kind that charges $200 an hour. Have you
done that?

We are fortunate to have some professionals here that give good advice
for free. Nothing wrong with sking.

....and my response to Oren was based on my definition of "consultation". To me,
it sounded as if Oren was saying that we shouldn't "consult" (ask) a professional
for DIY projects.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to Jess123, WAdams wrote:
I would suggest you to go with the consultation of professional.

Why?! This is a DIY project.

DIY's are not allowed to ask professionals for advice? Wow, I guess I've been doing it all wrong
for decades. I should have figuring it out on my own or only asking other novices. I'll have to
change my strategy.

The way I read the suggestion was he should hire someone the likes of a
professional engineer. The kind that charges $200 an hour. Have you
done that?

We are fortunate to have some professionals here that give good advice
for free. Nothing wrong with sking.

...and my response to Oren was based on my definition of "consultation". To me,
it sounded as if Oren was saying that we shouldn't "consult" (ask) a professional
for DIY projects.

What "professional" do you expect him to consult with for a small steel 8x6 shed? If that's the case, then I guess everyone who asks how to fix a faucet or how to change a switch should consult with a professional too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

Holy Crap! All I did was respond to *Oren's* comment. *Oren's* comment. Try to
follow along.

You guys are really getting more and more hostile everyday.

F* this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

You just figuring that out??? Mabee you ARE a slow lerner? BG