Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wave

replying to trader_4, Wink Knudge wrote:
That seems to be the concept, just an exhaust fan with a humidity sensor
controlling when it turns on. If the humidity is above a threshold, it
switches the fan on, otherwise, it's not needed and turns off.
If you don't have an AC in the house, it'd actually end up pulling outside air
into the house, and if it's humid outside, makes things worse in regard to
humidity. The radon and pollutants would be helped, but if humidity is the
main purpose, the dehumidification has to be done either by the separate AC
system, or if it's dryer outside to get a benefit.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-444013-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 12:14:10 PM UTC-4, Wink Knudge wrote:
replying to trader_4, Wink Knudge wrote:
That seems to be the concept, just an exhaust fan with a humidity sensor
controlling when it turns on. If the humidity is above a threshold, it
switches the fan on, otherwise, it's not needed and turns off.
If you don't have an AC in the house, it'd actually end up pulling outside air
into the house, and if it's humid outside, makes things worse in regard to
humidity.

And if you have AC upstairs, it's pulling outside air into the house
through cracks, window seals, door seals, etc, cooling it, sucking
it into the basement, then pumping it outside. I've never seen the
Wave folks talk about the energy loss, extra AC involved there,
only how little it costs to run their unit with the little fan.
Maybe we're missing something, but I haven't seen anyone explain
what it is.

The radon and pollutants would be helped, but if humidity is the
main purpose, the dehumidification has to be done either by the separate AC
system, or if it's dryer outside to get a benefit.

+1

One benefit for sure is you're getting fresh air into the basement,
so I don't doubt it will make it smell better, reduce typical
basement odor, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

One benefit for sure is you're getting fresh air into the basement,
so I don't doubt it will make it smell better, reduce typical
basement odor, etc.

i find that simply opening the basement windows ONLY on those days that the sky is blue and the outside humidity is low and running a circulating fan 24/7 works pretty well.

I do run a standard dehumidifier if there is a long spell of humid days.