william kossack

Default wave sanding disk quality

On the suggestion of others I got some of the wave sanding disks for
sanding my turnings.

I had been using other sanding disks from woodcraft but when I purchased
the grit only went to 240
(why do grits only go to 240?).

So I picked up some of the wave disks which go to 800.

My turnings sanded really well but I've noticed that particularly the
finer grits seem to fall apart.
Some of the 800 grit only lasted less than a minute before the sandpaper
separated from the
hook loop material rendering it useless.

In fact some 1500 grit hook loop that a neighbor gave me (does auto body
work) held up
far better than any of the disks I got from woodcraft. I had to cut it
to size but the stuff
never separated from the hook loop material. I'm debating stopping at a
couple autopart
places this week to price their sandpaper. Ofcourse lows and the borg
only carry grits
to 240 so stopping there is pointless.

Maxprop

"william kossack" wrote in message
the borg
only carry grits
to 240 so stopping there is pointless.

Futile, actually. :-)

Max

George

As the man says - heat. Press less, slow down. Heat also makes the next
grit more difficult, because it toughens the surface.

Reason sandpaper for regular woodworkers goes to 320 is that that's about
all you can see the difference on unless you're sanding cross-grain.
Regular woodwork sands with the grain, and the scratches disappear into the
structure.

Of course bodymen assume orbital speeds in the thousands, so the glue is
better on the grit and the backing.

sanding supplies eterna Woodworking 0 January 7th 04 10:12 AM
Sanding would have saved a gorgeous piece of oak... Bay Area Dave Woodworking 20 November 19th 03 03:16 PM