H.H. Mayo

Default Caloric Oven Won't Light Properly

My caloric oven won't burn properly when the bake button is set. I
replaced the ignitor already, but the oven still shows this problem:
The ignitor glows, and after a few seconds the burner will light.
Then, both the ignitor and burner will continue to burn for about five
seconds, and then shut off. What's wrong?

Larry
Phil Munro

Sounds exactly like an ignitor whose resistance is too high. Perhaps
you got a defective one or you damaged it when replacing it.
I would suggest using a small dmm to measure its resistance, and
then compare with a new one at a parts store. I'm sorry I can't
remember these numbers; I just recently replaced the one in our Caloric.
Many years ago I damaged ours when trying to use a vacuum cleaner hose
to clean it. If I remember, I bumped it! They are very fragile, and
will still glow when damaged, but the gas will stay on because the
resistance is too high. --Phil

H.H. Mayo wrote:
My caloric oven won't burn properly when the bake button is set. I
replaced the ignitor already, but the oven still shows this problem:
The ignitor glows, and after a few seconds the burner will light.
Then, both the ignitor and burner will continue to burn for about five
seconds, and then shut off. What's wrong?

Larry

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555

Phil Munro

Dan O. wrote:

H.H. Mayo wrote:

My caloric oven won't burn properly when the
bake button is set. I replaced the ignitor already,
but the oven still shows this problem:

The ignitor glows, and after a few seconds the
burner will light. Then, both the ignitor and burner
will continue to burn for about five seconds, and
then shut off.

Phil Munro

Sounds exactly like an ignitor whose resistance
is too high. Perhaps you got a defective one or
you damaged it when replacing it.

Just having a high resistance should not account for the ignitor
"shutting off" as the OP described. AFAIK, the only thing which would
normally interrupt power to the ignitor on most Caloric models is the
oven thermostat and that would not be dependent on the resistance in
the circuit, just the temperature it sensed.

I guess it could be an intermittent electrical contact in the bake
valve but I myself have never seen such a malfunction.

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Caloric+range

There is no question in my case as to how this worked. What I think
is that the resistance of the ignitor is sensed, and that affects the
continuation of gas flow. In my case the gas would stay on a shorter
and shorter time, take longer and longer to start, as the ignitor got
bader and bader. Do what I suggested, it is not hard. Measure
the ignitor resistance and check out what it is supposed to be.
Also, the schematic that should be somewhere on the stove may give
some insight on this.
Let us know what you finally find out about this. --Phil
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555

jeff

(H.H. Mayo) wrote in message . com...
My caloric oven won't burn properly when the bake button is set. I
replaced the ignitor already, but the oven still shows this problem:
The ignitor glows, and after a few seconds the burner will light.
Then, both the ignitor and burner will continue to burn for about five
seconds, and then shut off. What's wrong?

Larry

Hi,

Model#? Self clean, manual clean?
Is the power "lost" at the ignitor when all goes off? Will it/they
come back on, on thier own?

jeff.

The model is RST-376 UW. It is a self cleaning oven. I just now tried
it again, and the burner remains lit now, but the ignitor doesn't shut
off. SO, I guess I have another set of symptoms now. ??????

Larry

Hi,

The hot surface ignitor should stay on when ever the flame is burning.

The ignitor glows, and after a few seconds the burner will light.
Then, both the ignitor and burner will continue to burn for about five
seconds, and then shut off.

The oven temp sensor may have lost it's value and "thinks" the oven is
hotter inside that it really is and shuts it off, temp sensor can be
ohmed with an ohm meter ( sorry I don't know the rating of a new one )
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=341165
Oven temperature sensor

Loss of power from the clock assy or relay board( which has relays
that can stick on or stick off ). The clock/relay sends 110-120 volts
AC to the oven ignitor and gas safety valve ( which are in series with
one another )....a loss of power from the clock/relay board could
easily allow the oven to start and then quit, these would have to be
tested.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=1988
Relay board assembly.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=343298
Electronic clock control

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Phil Munro

H.H. Mayo wrote:

(jeff) wrote in message . com...

(H.H. Mayo) wrote in message . com...

My caloric oven won't burn properly when the bake button is set. I
replaced the ignitor already, but the oven still shows this problem:
The ignitor glows, and after a few seconds the burner will light.
Then, both the ignitor and burner will continue to burn for about five
seconds, and then shut off. What's wrong?

Larry

Hi,

Model#? Self clean, manual clean?
Is the power "lost" at the ignitor when all goes off? Will it/they
come back on, on thier own?

jeff.

The model is RST-376 UW. It is a self cleaning oven. I just now tried
it again, and the burner remains lit now, but the ignitor doesn't shut
off. SO, I guess I have another set of symptoms now. ??????

Larry

As I remember our Caloric, it became my understanding that the ignitor
either stayed on for safety, or was sensing the flame for safety. These
are both quite similar, and if you look at your schematic you will have
trouble finding anything that senses the gas burning. A temp sensor in
the oven would not respond quickly enough, so what they do (I think!) is
sense the current in the sensor, and if it drops too low then the gas
goes off.
My impression was that as the ignitor aged or was damaged its
electrical resistance increased and its current would drop and kick the
gas off. Of course the burner running will also effect the ignitor
temperature since the flame is very close, if not on, the ignitor, and
that would effect its resistance, too.
I will be interested too know what you find; this is about it for my
experience with this. :-) --Phil

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555

Dan O.

Just having a high resistance should not account
for the ignitor "shutting off" as the OP described.

Phil Munro wrote

There is no question in my case as to how
this worked. What I think is that the
resistance of the ignitor is sensed, and that
affects the continuation of gas flow.

In my case the gas would stay on a shorter
and shorter time, take longer and longer to
start, as the ignitor got bader and bader.

But did the ignitor ever *stop* glowing as the OP reported occurring
on his range?

Ignitors will get 'weak' with age and stop the gas valve from opening
or they can allow the gas valve to open but the ignitor not get quite
hot enough to ignite the gas immediately (ie. delayed ignition)
leading the mini-explosions in the oven.

There isn't too much which can cause the ignitor to stop glowing
altogether beside a stoppage in its power source.

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Caloric+range

=Ð~~~~~~

Dan O.

H.H. Mayo wrote in message

The model is RST-376 UW. It is a self cleaning oven.
I just now tried it again, and the burner remains lit now,
but the ignitor doesn't shut off.

SO, I guess I have another set of symptoms now. ???

No.

On a hot surface (ignitor) oven ignition system, the ignitor should
glow whenever the burner is on. The ignitor glowing (actually - the
specific amount of electrical current allowed to flow through it) is
what keeps the gas valve open. No power = no ignitor = no gas.

Glad to hear it's working now. You may just have to use it until the
part causing the problem fails once and for all so it can be found.

But I'd look toward the oven control system. The relays on those
electronic controls can be flaky.

Caloric RST-376 UW Electronic control
http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc=343298

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Caloric+range

=Ð~~~~~~

Dan O.

H.H. Mayo wrote in message

The model is RST-376 UW. It is a self cleaning oven.
I just now tried it again, and the burner remains
lit now, but the ignitor doesn't shut off.

SO, I guess I have another set of symptoms now. ???

Dan O. wrote

No.

On a hot surface (ignitor) oven ignition system, the
ignitor should glow whenever the burner is on. The
ignitor glowing (actually - the specific amount of
electrical current allowed to flow through it) is
what keeps the gas valve open.

No power = no ignitor = no gas.

Glad to hear it's working now. You may just have to
use it until the part causing the problem fails once
and for all so it can be found.

But I'd look toward the oven control system. The
relays on those electronic controls can be flaky.

Caloric RST376 UW Electronic control
http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc=343298

Sorry, on that model there is a separate relay board and those relays
are not on the electronic control itself. The good news is that if the
relay board is required, it is much cheaper than the electronic
control.

Caloric RST376 UW Relay Board
http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc=1988

JFYI

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Caloric+range

=Ð~~~~~~
H.H. Mayo

Phil Munro wrote in message
r got
bader and bader. Do what I suggested, it is not hard. Measure
the ignitor resistance and check out what it is supposed to be.
Also, the schematic that should be somewhere on the stove may give
some insight on this.
Let us know what you finally find out about this. --Phil

Well, I think you were right after all. The ignitor evidently glows as
long as the burner is on. I turned on the broiler, and observed the
same thing. I thought the ignitor was supposed to go out after the
burner lit, but I guess not after seeing both of them behave
similarly. I think the whole initial problem was a weak ignitor that
failed to allow the burner to light, and then eventually crapped out.
The oven works fine, now. My wife baked a pizza last night without
incident.

Larry.
Phil Munro

H.H. Mayo wrote:

Phil Munro wrote in message
r got

bader and bader. Do what I suggested, it is not hard. Measure
the ignitor resistance and check out what it is supposed to be.
Also, the schematic that should be somewhere on the stove may give
some insight on this.
Let us know what you finally find out about this. --Phil

Well, I think you were right after all. The ignitor evidently glows as
long as the burner is on. I turned on the broiler, and observed the
same thing. I thought the ignitor was supposed to go out after the
burner lit, but I guess not after seeing both of them behave
similarly. I think the whole initial problem was a weak ignitor that
failed to allow the burner to light, and then eventually crapped out.
The oven works fine, now. My wife baked a pizza last night without
incident.

Nice, but tell us (or me, at least), did you have to replace the
ignitor again to get it to work? Or is your new one that did not work
now working? Anything else you can share about exactly why you are
now thinking it was the ignitor?
I also went through some of this -- finally looking at the broiler
at the top of the oven and noting how it worked. :-) I have not tried
it, but am quite sure that if the electric plug is pulled when the oven
or broiler is on, it will go out because of the loss of power. On
the other hand, stove burners will not go out when power is lost, since
the flow of gas is dependent on a manual valve. Power only drives the
sparker which STARTS the gas burning.
At least, this is how our ~20-year old Caloric works. --Phil

changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM
Need help with Whirlpool Gas Range - oven won't light Hacksaw Home Repair 4 January 2nd 04 09:54 PM