Phil Munro

Default Caloric Oven Won't Light Properly

H.H. Mayo wrote:

(jeff) wrote in message . com...

(H.H. Mayo) wrote in message . com...

My caloric oven won't burn properly when the bake button is set. I
replaced the ignitor already, but the oven still shows this problem:
The ignitor glows, and after a few seconds the burner will light.
Then, both the ignitor and burner will continue to burn for about five
seconds, and then shut off. What's wrong?

Larry

Hi,

Model#? Self clean, manual clean?
Is the power "lost" at the ignitor when all goes off? Will it/they
come back on, on thier own?

jeff.

The model is RST-376 UW. It is a self cleaning oven. I just now tried
it again, and the burner remains lit now, but the ignitor doesn't shut
off. SO, I guess I have another set of symptoms now. ??????

Larry

As I remember our Caloric, it became my understanding that the ignitor
either stayed on for safety, or was sensing the flame for safety. These
are both quite similar, and if you look at your schematic you will have
trouble finding anything that senses the gas burning. A temp sensor in
the oven would not respond quickly enough, so what they do (I think!) is
sense the current in the sensor, and if it drops too low then the gas
goes off.
My impression was that as the ignitor aged or was damaged its
electrical resistance increased and its current would drop and kick the
gas off. Of course the burner running will also effect the ignitor
temperature since the flame is very close, if not on, the ignitor, and
that would effect its resistance, too.
I will be interested too know what you find; this is about it for my
experience with this. :-) --Phil

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555