Dan O.

Default Caloric Oven Won't Light Properly

Just having a high resistance should not account
for the ignitor "shutting off" as the OP described.

Phil Munro wrote

There is no question in my case as to how
this worked. What I think is that the
resistance of the ignitor is sensed, and that
affects the continuation of gas flow.

In my case the gas would stay on a shorter
and shorter time, take longer and longer to
start, as the ignitor got bader and bader.

But did the ignitor ever *stop* glowing as the OP reported occurring
on his range?

Ignitors will get 'weak' with age and stop the gas valve from opening
or they can allow the gas valve to open but the ignitor not get quite
hot enough to ignite the gas immediately (ie. delayed ignition)
leading the mini-explosions in the oven.

There isn't too much which can cause the ignitor to stop glowing
altogether beside a stoppage in its power source.

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com