Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wave tower and 'portable' air purifier

I have had both the installed Wave system (the tower) and the stand-alone air
purifier since last August (2016). Since that time I have developed mildew on
basement furniture, a prevailing odor of cat urine no matter how many times I
clean it, and tile floors that just don't dry! I miss my costly dehumidifiers
and don't know what to do next. I am trying to sell my home! (granted we have
had an unusually wet spring/summer, but last year was also pretty wet and
pre-Wave I didn't have the issues I now have!). Any suggestions on a better
system (I have heard that Qair is THE best, but very costly)?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1137722-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2017 10:44 AM, Corinne Apostle wrote:
I have had both the installed Wave system (the tower) and the
stand-alone air
purifier since last August (2016). Since that time I have developed
mildew on
basement furniture, a prevailing odor of cat urine no matter how many
times I
clean it, and tile floors that just don't dry! I miss my costly
dehumidifiers
and don't know what to do next. I am trying to sell my home! (granted we
have
had an unusually wet spring/summer, but last year was also pretty wet and
pre-Wave I didn't have the issues I now have!). Any suggestions on a better
system (I have heard that Qair is THE best, but very costly)?

Sounds like step one is a dehumidifier. The dampness will enhance the
odor. There are chemicals that are specific to eliminating urine odors
too.

Sounds like the Wave is not working.Did a contractor install it? I'd
get it checked out or trash it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 11:20:44 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

+1

Doesn't Wave have a guarantee? Get your money back? What does Wave
and the installer say?

First, you have to understand how the Wave unit works. From what I have
seen, it's essentially a simple fan connected to a humidistat. When the
basement humidity is above a limit, it pumps basement air outside. That
air is replaced by conditioned air from upstairs in the house. And there
in lies the problem with Wave. It claims to cost very little to operate,
but AFAIK, they are only looking at the electricity used to run the unit.
I believe they ignore the energy lost by taking conditioned air from
upstairs (heated in winter, AC cooled air in summer) and moving it down
to the basement. That air upstairs is replaced by air from outside,
which then has to be heated or cooled, using substantial energy.

So, if the basement is humid, the relevant questions are, is the Wave
running? If so, where is the makeup air coming from that goes into
the basement? Is there a door wide open or other passage to allow air
from upstairs? What's the humidity upstairs? Whatever it is, it will
increase when it moves down to the basement and cools. Or is air
possibly coming in to the basement directly from outside? If so, it's
summer and the air outsideis likely hot and humid and when that cools,
it's going to be damp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2017 11:41 AM, trader_4 wrote:

had an unusually wet spring/summer, but last year was also pretty wet and
pre-Wave I didn't have the issues I now have!). Any suggestions on a better
system (I have heard that Qair is THE best, but very costly)?

It is an air purifier. Not going to do what you need.

[...]

I just looked at the Wave web site. Sounds like a hocus-pocus deal that
is not going to solve the humidity problem. It does have a 1 year warranty.

I have no idea what the cost is, but put a $17 box fan blowing out a
basement window and you'd have the same effect.

Getting rid of cat **** takes some scrubbing. If it is in wood, maybe
some replacing. I do know if I was looking for a house to buy I'd walk
right out if it smelled like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2017 12:02 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I looked too but avoid manufacturers websites which tout the benefits.
This looks good:
http://www.wavehomesolutions.com/air/
It should work to purify air but it would not take out moisture.
In summer, with ac running it takes humidity out of the house. In
winter humidity is low so I run dehumidifier when hvac is not in use.

Cat odor is tough to get rid of. The wave should take the smell out of
the air but smell may be emanating from carpet or something cat peed on.
As long as the source is still there you will still smell it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 12:02:31 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I don;t think they are worth the money and AFAIK, they ignore the energy
lost by pumping conditioned air out of the house. But I think they will
lower the basement humidity, provided they are installed like they should
and pull AC conditioned air from upstairs into the basement, while
ejecting basement air outside. It's just that I think they are a poor,
overpriced way of doing it. From what I see, they are essentially a fan
hooked up to a humidistat. How much could you or I put a similar system
in place for?

I have no idea what the cost is, but put a $17 box fan blowing out a
basement window and you'd have the same effect.

Agree. That's one thing that is a red flag, there is no pricing info
that I've seen online for Wave.

Getting rid of cat **** takes some scrubbing. If it is in wood, maybe
some replacing. I do know if I was looking for a house to buy I'd walk
right out if it smelled like that.

They also have sprays available at Pet stores or online that are supposed
to help neutralize it. I don't have any experience, there probably are
reviews though on Amazon and such.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 12:49:34 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
[...]

I thought that's what she says she has and is complaining about?