Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Wave tower and 'portable' air purifier

On 7/15/2017 11:41 AM, trader_4 wrote:

had an unusually wet spring/summer, but last year was also pretty wet and
pre-Wave I didn't have the issues I now have!). Any suggestions on a better
system (I have heard that Qair is THE best, but very costly)?

It is an air purifier. Not going to do what you need.

Sounds like step one is a dehumidifier. The dampness will enhance the
odor. There are chemicals that are specific to eliminating urine odors
too.

Sounds like the Wave is not working.Did a contractor install it? I'd
get it checked out or trash it.

+1

Doesn't Wave have a guarantee? Get your money back? What does Wave
and the installer say?

First, you have to understand how the Wave unit works. From what I have
seen, it's essentially a simple fan connected to a humidistat. When the
basement humidity is above a limit, it pumps basement air outside. That
air is replaced by conditioned air from upstairs in the house. And there
in lies the problem with Wave. It claims to cost very little to operate,
but AFAIK, they are only looking at the electricity used to run the unit.
I believe they ignore the energy lost by taking conditioned air from
upstairs (heated in winter, AC cooled air in summer) and moving it down
to the basement. That air upstairs is replaced by air from outside,
which then has to be heated or cooled, using substantial energy.

So, if the basement is humid, the relevant questions are, is the Wave
running? If so, where is the makeup air coming from that goes into
the basement? Is there a door wide open or other passage to allow air
from upstairs? What's the humidity upstairs? Whatever it is, it will
increase when it moves down to the basement and cools. Or is air
possibly coming in to the basement directly from outside? If so, it's
summer and the air outside is likely hot and humid and when that cools,
it's going to be damp.

I just looked at the Wave web site. Sounds like a hocus-pocus deal that
is not going to solve the humidity problem. It does have a 1 year warranty.

I have no idea what the cost is, but put a $17 box fan blowing out a
basement window and you'd have the same effect.

Getting rid of cat **** takes some scrubbing. If it is in wood, maybe
some replacing. I do know if I was looking for a house to buy I'd walk
right out if it smelled like that.