Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do i clean fins on window ac?

My window ac filter is clean but the fins behind it stink. I smoke and that in itself is bad but starting the ac stinks too much. It is a Kenmore 10000 about 10 years old. I have others to clean too but they are basically the same.
Is google my friend? Did not ask.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 10:33:40 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

My window ac filter is clean but the fins behind it stink. I smoke and that in itself is bad but starting the ac stinks too much. It is a Kenmore 10000 about 10 years old. I have others to clean too but they are basically the same.
Is google my friend? Did not ask.

Why not. Search for an HVAC "comb" Clears the fins, straighten them
and get the cooties out.

There are foam sprays also. to clean the fins.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My window ac filter is clean but the fins behind it stink. I smoke and that in itself is bad but starting the ac stinks too much. It is a Kenmore 10000 about 10 years old. I have others to clean too but they are basically the same.
Is google my friend? Did not ask.

Why not. Search for an HVAC "comb" Clears the fins, straighten them
and get the cooties out.

There are foam sprays also. to clean the fins.

I tried a glass cleaner from 7-11 it has ammonia in it and it cleaned the fins and got rid of the smell. The best thing to do is after you are through using
it for the years is do a good cleanup job on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just did some utube vids. I posted here because it seemed better than politics. Looks like my hose and some spray cleaner to clean it. The pro stuff is expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2017 1:33 PM, Thomas wrote:
My window ac filter is clean but the fins behind it stink. I smoke and that in itself is bad but starting the ac stinks too much. It is a Kenmore 10000 about 10 years old. I have others to clean too but they are basically the same.
Is google my friend? Did not ask.

Cleaning is the easy part. Getting to the coil and rinsing away the
cleaning solution is difficult. There are fin cleaning solutions used
by commercial AC service people that you spray on and rinse but it would
be difficult on a window AC. If you can turn the unit so it is fins
down you could spray it and let it drain.

Ave you tried an odor eliminator, such as Febreeze? They may offer at
least a temporary fix, though not really clean.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 3:07:28 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/8/2017 1:33 PM, Thomas wrote:
My window ac filter is clean but the fins behind it stink. I smoke and that in itself is bad but starting the ac stinks too much. It is a Kenmore 10000 about 10 years old. I have others to clean too but they are basically the same.
Is google my friend? Did not ask.

Cleaning is the easy part. Getting to the coil and rinsing away the
cleaning solution is difficult. There are fin cleaning solutions used
by commercial AC service people that you spray on and rinse but it would
be difficult on a window AC. If you can turn the unit so it is fins
down you could spray it and let it drain.

Ave you tried an odor eliminator, such as Febreeze? They may offer at
least a temporary fix, though not really clean.

I do the febreeze but it is beyond that. Debating whether to wait until fall. I had a hip replacement so the less heavy things i do the longer it should last. Quitting smoking is the plan but stink is stink. Might chuck them and buy new if i quit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 12:33:49 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
My window ac filter is clean but the fins behind it stink. I smoke and that in itself is bad but starting the ac stinks too much. It is a Kenmore 10000 about 10 years old. I have others to clean too but they are basically the same.
Is google my friend? Did not ask.

You need a cleaner for the evaporator(cold part) and it would be a good idea to clean the condenser(hot part) at the same time. You can use a "fin comb" to comb out the debris from the fins and straighten them at the same time if any are bent. Fin combs come in different sizes or there are adjustable types but you must use the correct size. You can get what you need from Amazon or even Lowe's and Home Depot. Here are some links. The Amazon link shows a lot of different fin combs and aerosol cleaners. If you clean the condenser(hot part outside) be careful using a garden hose because the pencil thin stream of water from the hose nozzle can bend the fins. It's best to use the fan spray when rinsing the condenser. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_5h4sy3i4jh_e

https://tinyurl.com/yam6pa6g

http://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-A...-901/100664958

https://tinyurl.com/zf953ts

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-...n-Tool/1129195

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEB-Green-W...ner/1000024695

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+condition er

https://tinyurl.com/y8omvucw

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 4:44:26 PM UTC-5, Brock Begley wrote:
On 7/8/2017 1:33 PM, Thomas wrote:
I smoke and that in itself is bad but starting the ac stinks too much.

Let me get this straight. You voluntarily suck cigarette smoke into your lungs but you think the AC smells worse?

Some people are suckers! ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Observant Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 5:44:26 PM UTC-4, Brock Begley wrote:
On 7/8/2017 1:33 PM, Thomas wrote:
I smoke and that in itself is bad but starting the ac stinks too much.

Let me get this straight. You voluntarily suck cigarette smoke into your lungs but you think the AC smells worse?

Yes. I am not the lone smoker. I hate the self righteous ass****s like you. ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2017 7:38 PM, Thomas wrote:
On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 5:44:26 PM UTC-4, Brock Begley wrote:
On 7/8/2017 1:33 PM, Thomas wrote:
I smoke and that in itself is bad but starting the ac stinks too much.

Let me get this straight. You voluntarily suck cigarette smoke into your lungs but you think the AC smells worse?

Yes. I am not the lone smoker. I hate the self righteous ass****s like you. ****.

Fact: The tobacco companies engineer cigarettes to keep weak people addicted. How does it feel to be their bitch?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2017 6:38 PM, Thomas wrote:
On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 5:44:26 PM UTC-4, Brock Begley wrote:
On 7/8/2017 1:33 PM, Thomas wrote:
I smoke and that in itself is bad but starting the ac stinks too much.

Let me get this straight. You voluntarily suck cigarette smoke into your lungs but you think the AC smells worse?

Yes. I am not the lone smoker. I hate the self righteous ass****s like you. ****.

Thomas , it's all about your mindset . I smoked for 40 years , and
"tried" to quit many times . Ignore the asshole ... he probably sucks
down 2 packs a day of Camel shorts .

One day I just decided that I *would* quit , not "try" to quit . Went
to the drug store and bought a box of nicotine patches and a bag of
Tootsie Roll Pops . It worked for me ... but as I said , it's all about
your mindset . That was 12 years ago in March , I have no cravings , and
FWIW now think that the stink is nasty .

Now , about your AC . Many units can be pulled out of the case to the
inside , you can then carry it outside to spray out with a hose . Tip it
up on one side so the water can all run out , and be sure to let it dry
for a day or so before you power it up . Goes without saying not to
spray water into electrical controls ...

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2017 1:33 PM, Thomas wrote:
I smoke and that in itself is bad but starting the ac stinks too much.

Let me get this straight. You voluntarily suck cigarette smoke into your lungs but you think the AC smells worse?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Snag. I loved the Welcome you got in rfc. Years ago i quit on my own for 18 months. Restarted when divorce came along.
Everyone quits.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

On 7/8/2017 2:35 PM, Snohomo Jackie G aka wrote:
I tried a glass cleaner from 7-11 it has ammonia

Isn't that how you clean yer cum catcher..Snohomo Jackie?

LoLoLoL