Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do i clean fins on window ac?

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 12:33:49 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
My window ac filter is clean but the fins behind it stink. I smoke and that in itself is bad but starting the ac stinks too much. It is a Kenmore 10000 about 10 years old. I have others to clean too but they are basically the same.
Is google my friend? Did not ask.

You need a cleaner for the evaporator(cold part) and it would be a good idea to clean the condenser(hot part) at the same time. You can use a "fin comb" to comb out the debris from the fins and straighten them at the same time if any are bent. Fin combs come in different sizes or there are adjustable types but you must use the correct size. You can get what you need from Amazon or even Lowe's and Home Depot. Here are some links. The Amazon link shows a lot of different fin combs and aerosol cleaners. If you clean the condenser(hot part outside) be careful using a garden hose because the pencil thin stream of water from the hose nozzle can bend the fins. It's best to use the fan spray when rinsing the condenser. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_5h4sy3i4jh_e

https://tinyurl.com/yam6pa6g

http://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-A...-901/100664958

https://tinyurl.com/zf953ts