Posted to alt.home.repair

Default California to list glyphosate as cancer-causing; Monsanto vows fight

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 3:14:04 AM UTC-4, Gz wrote:
"BurfordTJustice" wrote:
The democrats/libtards/kooks are at it again...

California to list glyphosate as cancer-causing; Monsanto vows fight

Glyphosate, an herbicide and the active ingredient in Monsanto Co's (MON.N)
popular Roundup weed killer, will be added to California's list of chemicals
known to cause cancer effective July 7, the state's Office of Environmental
Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) said on Monday.

Monsanto vowed to continue its legal fight against the designation, required
under a state law known as Proposition 65, and called the decision
"unwarranted on the basis of science and the law."

The listing is the latest legal setback for the seeds and chemicals company,
which has faced increasing litigation over glyphosate since the World Health
Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer said that it is
"probably carcinogenic" in a controversial ruling in 2015.

Dicamba, a weed killer designed for use with Monsanto's next generation of
biotech crops, is under scrutiny in Arkansas after the state's plant board
voted last week to ban the chemical.

OEHHA said the designation of glyphosate under Proposition 65 will proceed
following an unsuccessful attempt by Monsanto to block the listing in trial
court and after requests for stay were denied by a state appellate court and
the California's Supreme Court.

Monsanto's appeal of the trial court's ruling is pending.

"This is not the final step in the process, and it has no bearing on the
merits of the case. We will continue to aggressively challenge this improper
decision," Scott Partridge, Monsanto's vice president of global strategy,
said.

Listing glyphosate as a known carcinogen under California's Proposition 65
would require companies selling the chemical in the state to add warning
labels to packaging. Warnings would also be required if glyphosate is being
sprayed at levels deemed unsafe by regulators.

Users of the chemical include landscapers, golf courses, orchards, vineyards
and farms.

Monsanto and other glyphosate producers would have roughly a year from the
listing date to re-label products or remove them from store shelves if
further legal challenges are lost.

Monsanto has not calculated the cost of any re-labeling effort and does not
break out glyphosate sales data by state, Partridge said.
Environmental groups cheered OEHHA's move to list the chemical.

"California's decision makes it the national leader in protecting people
from cancer-causing pesticides," said Nathan Donley, a senior scientist at
the Center for Biological Diversity.

The list should include all GMO crops and products such as cereals. They
are even sprayed prior to harvesting.

Greg

Then put a cancer warning on almost all crops sold that are not organic, because they use chemicals too. Scare the world and let poor people statve instead of benefitting from abundant and cheap food from modern agriculture. The environmental hippy extremists would have us living in caves, with no heat, no food, if we listened to them.

I laugh when I open a box on a new product, some everyday product that we've used for years and see the CA warnings that are on it now. What is needed is a warning about the lib extremists.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BurfordTJustice" wrote:
[...]

While I agree that Kalifornistan goes overboard in many ways with
their warnings , in this case I believe they are right . Look at the
data for sales of "probiotic" products vs the use of glyphosate in
farming and you might find an alarming trend . Glyphosate has known
antibacterial properties ... and it affects the natural e.coli bacteria
in our digestive systems . Greg is right about pre-harvest spraying ,
wheat is one crop that is sprayed to "desiccate" the plants a few days
before harvest , so it's all ripe when they come thru with the combines
.. For that (and other) reasons I make all our bread products and use
only flour that's made from glyphosate-free wheat berries .

Some believe that glyphosate is carried over into the meat of food
animals that are fed those grains , but I'm not sure about that . I am
sure however that my wife developed a severe reaction to almost all corn
products when they started growing GMO and treating it . I refuse to
allow it on my property (power line easements) because we have bees . It
has been shown to be a "sub-lethal" toxin to bees . Again , because of
the antibacterial properties . Everything is a trade-off , and this is
no different . But there must be a balance between weed control and
toxic chemical residues in our food supply .

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 5:04:16 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

I laugh when I open a box on a new product, some everyday product that we've used for years and see the CA warnings that are on it now. What is needed is a warning about the lib extremists.

Sand. Ordinary sand is carcinogenic in California.

How did we ever survive childhood?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BurfordTJustice" wrote:
[...]

I agree it's a tradeoff, but Roundup appears safe and it's benefits
are huge. The environmental extremists only look at anything that
appears to suggest there might be a problem, blow it all out of
proportion, and totally ignore the other side of the ledger, ie the
huge benefits.

For example, the whole Mississippi delta is an environmental disaster
because it's being filled in with silt carried down from the Midwest.
It's filled in 20 feet deep in many places. The source of most of
that is runoff from farms that are plowed. Farms can now use Roundup
to kill the weeds, then directly plant without plowing, reducing that
runoff by 95%. Yet you never hear about that, only that someone found
a cancer prone rat somewhere that when fed a gallon of glyphosate,
developed cancer. Meanwhile 10 other studies found no causation.

Regarding it's safety and more specifically the mostly false claim
that it's used as a dessicant prior to harvest:

http://www.snopes.com/monsanto-suppr...icide-in-food/

CLAIM
A new analysis of the residue on common American foods showed high levels of the herbicide glyphosate and Monsanto, the EPA, and the FDA are in cahoots to silence word of the chemicals harmful effects and its high concentration in foods. See Example(s)

RATING
FALSE

Although a March 2015 review by the WHOs International Agency for Research on Cancer suggested glyphosate may have some carcinogenic potential, the current consensus amongst the worlds regulatory agencies is that it is safe for consumption and non-carcinogenic at environmentally relevant levels, with the WHO concluding:

Glyphosate is unlikely to pose a carcinogenic risk to humans from exposure through the diet.

http://kswheat.com/the-truth-about-r...pport-material

A recent blog post revisits the Samsel and Seneff publication from 2013 alleging glyphosate residues are responsible for the recent surge in Celiac disease. Specifically, that residues from Roundup €ścommonly€ť sprayed on wheat in the U.S. pre-harvest causes gluten intolerance. This report has been repeatedly debunked (see Key Points) and the claim that GMOs are somehow linked to celiac disease has been challenged by the Celiac Disease Foundation itself.

The claims that Roundup agricultural herbicides are commonly doused on wheat crops a few days before harvest is not accurate. It is not routine for U.S. wheat producers to use Roundup, or other formulations of glyphosate, for pre-harvest applications. Although Roundup is labeled for pre-harvest applications at least 14 days before harvest as a desiccant or in order to control perennial weeds, it is uncommon for U.S. producers to make that application. As a point of clarification, in Canada it is more common for label-approved pre-harvest applications of Roundup brand herbicides due to the short growing season.

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/roundupwheat.asp

Additionally, the authors claim that €śAccording to the US Department of Agriculture, 99% of durum wheat, 97% of spring wheat, and 61% of winter wheat [in the U.S.] has been doused with Roundup as part of the harvesting process€ť is unsupported by documentation. Although glyphosate has been suggested for pre-harvest application in some places (such as Canada and Europe), the author appears to have confused a chart showing the overall percentage of glyphosate application wheat crops in the U.S. for one specifically detailing pre-harvest glyphosate usage on wheat crops. Those are two very different measurements.

Moreover, commenter after commenter with direct experience in wheat farming has chimed in to state that despite the authors claims that nearly all the durum and spring wheat in the U.S. is €śdoused with Roundup as part of the harvesting process,€ť theyve never engaged in, seen, or heard of such a practice and have no use for it because its unnecessary or economically unfeasible:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2017 12:54 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Thank God we have the "experts" at Snopes to settle this issue. LOL