Posted to alt.home.repair

Default One less thing

That I need to do . Today I picked up a slightly used 2.5 gallon
point of use water heater , and got it installed under the house right
below the kitchen sink . The sink/dishwasher are far enough from the
main tank that it takes a while to get hot water there . Makes the
dishwasher run longer because it has to get the water up to temp . Now
we get 140° water from the sink faucet in less than 5 seconds . That
means that basically we'll never run out of hot water there , by the
time this little tank is out the main has gotten hot water there . This
makes the wife happy ... and we all know how important that is !

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2017 6:17 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
This makes the wife happy ... and we all know how important that is !

Makes 'em quieter too!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check the utility bill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2017 6:47 PM, Thomas wrote:
Check the utility bill.

I doubt there will be much impact on the utility bill ... if there is ,
that unit will be wrapped in fiberglass insulation .

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2017 8:10 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/23/2017 6:47 PM, Thomas wrote:
Check the utility bill.

I doubt there will be much impact on the utility bill ... if there is
, that unit will be wrapped in fiberglass insulation .

--

Snag

OK , just checked . The case of the unit is at ambient , but the
copper lines I plumbed it with are warm to the touch . Tomorrow I'll get
a new length of pipe insulation and rectumfry that situation .

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news
That I need to do . Today I picked up a slightly used 2.5 gallon point
of use water heater , and got it installed under the house right below the
kitchen sink . The sink/dishwasher are far enough from the main tank that
it takes a while to get hot water there . Makes the dishwasher run longer
because it has to get the water up to temp . Now we get 140° water from
the sink faucet in less than 5 seconds . That means that basically we'll
never run out of hot water there , by the time this little tank is out the
main has gotten hot water there . This makes the wife happy ... and we all
know how important that is !

Is this water heater "under the house" or in the cabinet below the sink?

How is it wired up?

Where does the T&P pipe run?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2017 9:08 PM, catalpa wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news
That I need to do . Today I picked up a slightly used 2.5 gallon point
of use water heater , and got it installed under the house right below the
kitchen sink . The sink/dishwasher are far enough from the main tank that
it takes a while to get hot water there . Makes the dishwasher run longer
because it has to get the water up to temp . Now we get 140° water from
the sink faucet in less than 5 seconds . That means that basically we'll
never run out of hot water there , by the time this little tank is out the
main has gotten hot water there . This makes the wife happy ... and we all
know how important that is !

Is this water heater "under the house" or in the cabinet below the sink?

How is it wired up?

Where does the T&P pipe run?

It's under the house , in the 4 1/2 foot high space under the kitchen
area . The house is built on a slope , the bedroom on the other end has
only enough crawl space to get under there . It's plugged into an outlet
I installed for it , since the install manual didn't call for a
dedicated circuit it shares a 20 amp breaker with the washing machine -
though I may move the power supply over to a breaker I'll be installing
for a couple of outlets in the cellar . This unit only draws 12 amps,
rated1440 watts with a 15 minute recovery time . I don't think it will
run much , it takes about 2 minutes to get hot water to the
sink/dishwasher from the main 40 gallon tank - and six seconds now to
get 140° water at the faucet. I considered an on-demand recirc system ,
but that would still cause the dishwasher to get cold water at first ,
which causes extended wash times . It would also cost more to install
and waste more energy . The TPR has a short stub right now but will have
a 1/2 inch PVC pipe to the outside as soon as I get a couple of
fittings. The house is still under construction , we're building it out
of pocket as we get the money . Changes are pretty easy right now , so
I'm making sure I have it right before I do the stone (from rocks on our
land) on the lower part of the walls . We still haven't decided whether
we want white oak split shakes on the upper walls or white oak board and
batten . Either way the siding will come from trees on our land .

--

Snag