Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ADA outdoor handrail material

I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke.
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2017 11:19 AM, Tekkie® wrote:
I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke.
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

"handicap"? You shall be shot!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 14:19:55 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke.
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

Unless it was a dowel, it probably was not legal anyway. The rail has
pretty specific outer diameter requirements. They really like 2" OD
pipe.

This is all in the Florida code that is a direct lift from the US ADA
and the ICC codes
http://floridabuilding2.iccsafe.org/app/book/content/2014_Florida/Accessibility%20Code/Chapter%205.html

505.7 Cross Section.
Handrail gripping surfaces shall have a cross section complying with
505.7.1 or 505.7.2.

505.7.1 Circular Cross Section.
Handrail gripping surfaces with a circular cross section shall have an
outside diameter of 11/4 inches (32 mm) minimum and 2 inches (51 mm)
maximum.

505.7.2 Non-Circular Cross Sections.
Handrail gripping surfaces with a non-circular cross section shall
have a perimeter dimension of 4 inches (100 mm) minimum and 61/4
inches (160 mm) maximum, and a cross-section dimension of 21/4 inches
(57 mm) maximum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke.
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

What is the foundation base?

If concrete, drill and core 1.5 inch in and use metal pipe. Take a
look at your local government building ADA ramps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2017 2:19 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke.
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

I'd use a composite. If you want to meet compliance be sure to check
the specs if you have not done so as it has to be a specific size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Taxed and Spent posted for all of us...

On 6/17/2017 11:19 AM, Tekkie® wrote:
I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke..
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

"handicap"? You shall be shot!

I feel that way already...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke.
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

What is the foundation base?

If concrete, drill and core 1.5 inch in and use metal pipe. Take a
look at your local government building ADA ramps.

The handrail attaches to a face board that is attached to the posts.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 6/17/2017 2:19 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke..
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

I'd use a composite. If you want to meet compliance be sure to check
the specs if you have not done so as it has to be a specific size.

Thank you. I was favoring that because I am afraid of ice buildup. I will
check span lengths so it will be supported properly.

--
Tekkie