Koons

Default Repairing an outdoor handrail

I have a rusted handrail that I would like to renovate and then most
likely have reinstalled by a professional. Would this be a job for a
welder?

But meanwhile, what should I do? I assume I need to get a drill/sander.
I own a DeWalt 3/8" drill with max RPM of 2,500, and my understanding
is that this isn't good enough for the sanding attachment required.

After the sanding issue is taken care of, is there any particular
treatment required before applying a fresh coat of paint?

Thanks

G Henslee

Koons wrote:
I have a rusted handrail that I would like to renovate and then most
likely have reinstalled by a professional. Would this be a job for a
welder?

But meanwhile, what should I do? I assume I need to get a drill/sander.
I own a DeWalt 3/8" drill with max RPM of 2,500, and my understanding
is that this isn't good enough for the sanding attachment required.

After the sanding issue is taken care of, is there any particular
treatment required before applying a fresh coat of paint?

Thanks

You might want to have it bead blasted or cleaned and then
powder-coated. I did this with some of the railings on my ChrisCraft.
Roger Taylor

"Koons" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a rusted handrail that I would like to renovate and then most
likely have reinstalled by a professional. Would this be a job for a
welder?
But meanwhile, what should I do? I assume I need to get a drill/sander.
I own a DeWalt 3/8" drill with max RPM of 2,500, and my understanding
is that this isn't good enough for the sanding attachment required.
After the sanding issue is taken care of, is there any particular
treatment required before applying a fresh coat of paint?

If the rail is removeable and transportable, I would take it to a metal
refinishing shop, saving you considerable labor and pick-up costs.
Refinishing in place, depending on condition, can be messy, and a rotary
drill sander is likely to leave scratches, and not get into all the
crannies.. For a reasonable cost, a metal shop will sandblast off the rust
and old paint, then prime it with metal primer, Then you can reinstall, fine
sand, and do the final coat of exterior rust-resistant oil-based or alkyd
enamel. Whether the rail is readily removable is determined by how it is
attached to steps, wall, etc.
Even a neighborhood car body shop might do the sandblasting work for you, if
you know them well enuf.

RicodJour

Koons wrote:
I have a rusted handrail that I would like to renovate and then most
likely have reinstalled by a professional. Would this be a job for a
welder?

But meanwhile, what should I do? I assume I need to get a drill/sander.
I own a DeWalt 3/8" drill with max RPM of 2,500, and my understanding
is that this isn't good enough for the sanding attachment required.

After the sanding issue is taken care of, is there any particular
treatment required before applying a fresh coat of paint?

http://www.zero-rust.com/zero-rust.html is one option, followed by two
coats of finish paint.

Another option would be to have the railing galvanized before painting.
You could bring it to a shop, or use one of the mil-spec cold
galvanizing paints.
http://devcon.com/devconfamilyproduc...115.0&catid=21