G Henslee

Koons wrote:
I have a rusted handrail that I would like to renovate and then most
likely have reinstalled by a professional. Would this be a job for a
welder?

But meanwhile, what should I do? I assume I need to get a drill/sander.
I own a DeWalt 3/8" drill with max RPM of 2,500, and my understanding
is that this isn't good enough for the sanding attachment required.

After the sanding issue is taken care of, is there any particular
treatment required before applying a fresh coat of paint?

Thanks

You might want to have it bead blasted or cleaned and then
powder-coated. I did this with some of the railings on my ChrisCraft.