DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ADA outdoor handrail material (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/592006-ada-outdoor-handrail-material.html)

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= June 17th 17 07:19 PM

ADA outdoor handrail material

I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke.
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

--
Tekkie

Taxed and Spent June 17th 17 07:23 PM

On 6/17/2017 11:19 AM, Tekkie® wrote:
I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke.
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

"handicap"? You shall be shot!

[email protected] June 17th 17 07:41 PM

ADA outdoor handrail material

On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 14:19:55 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke.
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

Unless it was a dowel, it probably was not legal anyway. The rail has
pretty specific outer diameter requirements. They really like 2" OD
pipe.

This is all in the Florida code that is a direct lift from the US ADA
and the ICC codes
http://floridabuilding2.iccsafe.org/app/book/content/2014_Florida/Accessibility%20Code/Chapter%205.html

505.7 Cross Section.
Handrail gripping surfaces shall have a cross section complying with
505.7.1 or 505.7.2.

505.7.1 Circular Cross Section.
Handrail gripping surfaces with a circular cross section shall have an
outside diameter of 11/4 inches (32 mm) minimum and 2 inches (51 mm)
maximum.

505.7.2 Non-Circular Cross Sections.
Handrail gripping surfaces with a non-circular cross section shall
have a perimeter dimension of 4 inches (100 mm) minimum and 61/4
inches (160 mm) maximum, and a cross-section dimension of 21/4 inches
(57 mm) maximum.

Oren[_2_] June 17th 17 07:49 PM

wrote:

I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke.
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

What is the foundation base?

If concrete, drill and core 1.5 inch in and use metal pipe. Take a
look at your local government building ADA ramps.

Ed Pawlowski June 17th 17 08:11 PM

On 6/17/2017 2:19 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke.
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

I'd use a composite. If you want to meet compliance be sure to check
the specs if you have not done so as it has to be a specific size.

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= June 20th 17 07:12 PM

ADA outdoor handrail material

Taxed and Spent posted for all of us...

On 6/17/2017 11:19 AM, Tekkie® wrote:
I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke..
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

"handicap"? You shall be shot!

I feel that way already...

--
Tekkie

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= June 20th 17 07:14 PM

ADA outdoor handrail material

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

It was not a dowel but ADA compliant piece of wood.

--
Tekkie

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= June 20th 17 07:16 PM

ADA outdoor handrail material

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke.
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

What is the foundation base?

If concrete, drill and core 1.5 inch in and use metal pipe. Take a
look at your local government building ADA ramps.

The handrail attaches to a face board that is attached to the posts.

--
Tekkie

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= June 20th 17 07:24 PM

ADA outdoor handrail material

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 6/17/2017 2:19 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
I have an outdoor handicap ramp with a wooden handrail which just broke..
What are your thoughts on what material to replace it with? PT wood,
composite, metal?

I'd use a composite. If you want to meet compliance be sure to check
the specs if you have not done so as it has to be a specific size.

Thank you. I was favoring that because I am afraid of ice buildup. I will
check span lengths so it will be supported properly.

--
Tekkie