Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dead rat with babies in the backyard

Sorry if this is an off topic subject but I could not help it.
Today in the morning I saw from my basement window many flies in the backyard. I checked and there was a dead rat! not very big one. I was shocked to see it. Anyway I put it in the garbage. I went back to the yard and I saw less than 1 meter away from the dead rat a baby rat, looked like just born but was not dead, was still moving but about to die, then I saw another baby rat less than half meter away from the other baby but the second one was dead and i can see there was a cut and blood in his body. I put them all in the garbage.

My backyard is clean and almost empty (no spaces to hide). My neighbor has 2 cats. My question, what do you think did happen? to me is like someone (not human probably) throw them all or kill them all. But how and why the babies were there too? I was thinking maybe my neighbor cats did that (not complaining) but I want to know what could happen and if you there there are more? it scares me really.

Thanks a lot and sorry once again if that is an off topic but I know many people here are so knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2017 9:44 PM, leza wang wrote:
[...]

Did you see something that makes you think it was a cat? Could they
have eaten poison someplace the went to your yard to die?

Good that you got the mother but they can have 8 to 12 pups per litter
so there may be more around. Hopefully, the cats are doing their job.
You can put a trap or two out, but make sure it is something that won't
kill the cats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 10:42:06 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I am just guessing because the second baby had a bloody cut, so maybe someone attack him. By the way, if I plant mint, would that keep rats/mice away? Thank you so much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 18:44:47 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

My backyard is clean and almost empty (no spaces to hide). My neighbor has 2 cats. My question, what do you think did happen? to me is like someone (not human probably) throw them all or kill them all. But how and why the babies were there too? I was thinking maybe my neighbor cats did that (not complaining) but I want to know what could happen and if you there there are more? it scares me really.

How the rats died is not important at this time. The fact they are
dead is what matters. The neighbor and I went on a rat killing event
last year. So far we have been lucky. Pellet rifles, boots, shovels
and seeing them drown was worth the effort.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"leza wang" wrote in message ...
[...]

I don't know about mint, but I had a similar problem last year. The neighbors have a tangerine tree and they feasted on that, then jumped over the fence and were having my avodcados for dessert. I set out some cage traps and caught one now and then, but they seemed to learn to stay away after awhile. I called the county vector control and they set out some tubes wit rat poison. I never did see or smell any dead rats thought. Vector guy said the poison breaks down inside the animal and it is harmless if another animal eats the rat.

I'm not a tree-hugger but try to leave all animals and insects alone. I don't mind sharing my avocados. But in the case of rats, they are fleabags that can spread plague and other nasty diseases. For a choice between a rat and a human, especially me, the rat comes in 2nd place.

My honest opinion is that the neighborhood cats caught them in my case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Newgene McMensa" wrote in message ...
"leza wang" wrote in message ...
[...]

By the way, the only way I know kill them from a trap is to drown it. Not pleasant to do, but they drown in about 15 seconds. Also, if you do this, mix a spoonful of liquid detergent in the water first. That will break the surface tension and fleas will drown. If you don't, the fleas will jump out of the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 19:23:06 -0700, "Newgene McMensa"
wrote:

By the way, the only way I know kill them from a trap is to drown it. Not pleasant to do, but they drown in about 15 seconds. Also, if you do this, mix a spoonful of liquid detergent in the water first. That will break the surface tension and fleas will drown. If you don't, the fleas will jump out of the water.

Actually rats are expert swimmers.

National Geographic: See How Easily a Rat Can Wriggle Up Your Toilet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t2VPBF6Kp4

River rats in Al / GA traverse along the river banks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 10 Jun 2017 18:44:47 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

Sorry if this is an off topic subject but I could not help it.
Today in the morning I saw from my basement window many flies in the backyard. I checked and there was a dead rat! not very big one. I was shocked to see it. Anyway I put it in the garbage. I went back to the yard and I saw less than 1 meter away from the dead rat a baby rat, looked like just born but was not dead, was still moving but about to die

She needs a wet nurse. Google wet nurse rat yourtown . Do
this quickly before it dies.

, then I saw another baby rat less than half meter away from the other baby but the second one was dead and i can see there was a cut and blood in his body. I put them all in the garbage.

My backyard is clean and almost empty (no spaces to hide). My neighbor has 2 cats. My question, what do you think did happen? to me is like someone (not human probably) throw them all or kill them all. But how and why the babies were there too? I was thinking maybe my neighbor cats did that (not complaining) but I want to know what could happen and if you there there are more? it scares me really.

Cats will bring the mice they kill back to their "owner" and deposit
them in front of him. To show how talented? they are? Unles they eat
them first. But if they are not hungry, or I suppose, if they catch a
rat and it's too big to eat.

Why it left it in the middle of the yard.... just guessing, maybe it got
tired carrying it, or it figured out the neighbor wasn't home, or the
n'bor said "Why did you bring those here".

Maybe the babies followed on their own. Maybe the cut was from a cat's
claw?

Thanks a lot and sorry once again if that is an off topic but I know many people here are so knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks a lot.

I'm just guessign.