Posted to alt.home.repair
leza wang leza wang is offline

Default dead rat with babies in the backyard

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 10:42:06 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/10/2017 9:44 PM, leza wang wrote:
Sorry if this is an off topic subject but I could not help it.
Today in the morning I saw from my basement window many flies in the backyard. I checked and there was a dead rat! not very big one. I was shocked to see it. Anyway I put it in the garbage. I went back to the yard and I saw less than 1 meter away from the dead rat a baby rat, looked like just born but was not dead, was still moving but about to die, then I saw another baby rat less than half meter away from the other baby but the second one was dead and i can see there was a cut and blood in his body. I put them all in the garbage.

My backyard is clean and almost empty (no spaces to hide). My neighbor has 2 cats. My question, what do you think did happen? to me is like someone (not human probably) throw them all or kill them all. But how and why the babies were there too? I was thinking maybe my neighbor cats did that (not complaining) but I want to know what could happen and if you there there are more? it scares me really.

Thanks a lot and sorry once again if that is an off topic but I know many people here are so knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks a lot.

Did you see something that makes you think it was a cat? Could they
have eaten poison someplace the went to your yard to die?

Good that you got the mother but they can have 8 to 12 pups per litter
so there may be more around. Hopefully, the cats are doing their job.
You can put a trap or two out, but make sure it is something that won't
kill the cats.

I am just guessing because the second baby had a bloody cut, so maybe someone attack him. By the way, if I plant mint, would that keep rats/mice away? Thank you so much.