Posted to alt.home.repair

Default USPS Includes Junk Mail With Official Correspondence

My daughter submitted a change of address via the USPS website. To verify
the change, the USPS sent a letter to our house addressed to "My Daughter's
Name or Current Residence" stating that if the requested change was not valid,
she should contact the USPS immediately.

Stuffed in the envelope were move-related glossy advertisements from the
following companies:

wayfair.com
Progressive Insurance
SimpliSafe Security Systems
Citizens Bank
DIRECTV
Frontier Communications
Lowe's

It just seems wrong for junk mail to be included with a piece of official correspondence from a government agency.

On the other hand, there's no Lowe's within 50 miles of my daughter's
new place, so I'm going to keep the 10% coupon. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 May 2017 19:41:02 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

It just seems wrong for junk mail to be included with a piece of
official correspondence from a government agency.

USPS is not a government agency/
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

It just seems wrong for junk mail to be included with a piece of
official correspondence from a government agency.

USPS is not a government agency/

Idiot.

https://www.usa.gov/federal-agencies/us-postal-service
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

It just seems wrong for junk mail to be included with a piece of
official correspondence from a government agency.

USPS is not a government agency/

Idiot.

yes you are.

The United States Postal Service (USPS; also known as the Post Office,
U.S. Mail, or Postal Service) is an independent agency of the United
States federal government responsible for providing postal service in
the United States. It is one of the few government agencies explicitly
authorized by the United States Constitution.

Independent agencies of the United States federal government are those
agencies that exist outside of the federal executive departments (those
headed by a Cabinet secretary) and the Executive Office of the
President.[1] In a more narrow sense, the term may also be used to
describe agencies that, while constitutionally part of the executive
branch, are independent of presidential control, usually because the
president's power to dismiss the agency head or a member is limited.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Let's recap...

Your claim: "USPS is not a government agency"

Your attempt to back up your claim: "It is one of the few government
agencies explicitly authorized by the United States Constitution."

I'd say "Nice Try", but when you provide the facts that refute your
own claim, we have to go back to what I said earlier: Idiot

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2017 10:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My daughter submitted a change of address via the USPS website. To verify
the change, the USPS sent a letter to our house addressed to "My Daughter's
Name or Current Residence" stating that if the requested change was not valid,
she should contact the USPS immediately.

Stuffed in the envelope were move-related glossy advertisements from the
following companies:

wayfair.com
Progressive Insurance
SimpliSafe Security Systems
Citizens Bank
DIRECTV
Frontier Communications
Lowe's

It just seems wrong for junk mail to be included with a piece of official correspondence from a government agency.

On the other hand, there's no Lowe's within 50 miles of my daughter's
new place, so I'm going to keep the 10% coupon. ;-)

The USPS operates semi-autonomous from the government and has been doing
that for years. I guess anything to make a buck they claim it is to
welcome you to the neighborhood.

Congress keeps the USPS screwed up enough they can't make a buck or good
decisions on service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2017 7:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My daughter submitted a change of address via the USPS website. To verify
the change, the USPS sent a letter to our house addressed to "My Daughter's
Name or Current Residence" stating that if the requested change was not valid,
she should contact the USPS immediately.

Stuffed in the envelope were move-related glossy advertisements from the
following companies:

wayfair.com
Progressive Insurance
SimpliSafe Security Systems
Citizens Bank
DIRECTV
Frontier Communications
Lowe's

It just seems wrong for junk mail to be included with a piece of official correspondence from a government agency.

Just think of your recycling bin as your delete key.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It just seems wrong for junk mail to be included with a piece of
official correspondence from a government agency.
USPS is not a government agency/

Idiot.

yes you are.

The United States Postal Service (USPS; also known as the Post Office,
U.S. Mail, or Postal Service) is an independent agency of the United
States federal government

You just contradicted yourself. Are you an idiot?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 May 2017 09:24:04 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Can you name anything Congress runs EXCEPT their own perks and benefits
that they have not screwed up? I can not think of anything else.
--
Mr.E

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It just seems wrong for junk mail to be included with a piece of
official correspondence from a government agency.
USPS is not a government agency/
Idiot.

yes you are.

The United States Postal Service (USPS; also known as the Post
Office, U.S. Mail, or Postal Service) is an independent agency of
the United States federal government

You just contradicted yourself. Are you an idiot?

Stay in your safe space.

Independent agencies of the United States federal government are those
agencies that exist outside of the federal executive departments (those
headed by a Cabinet secretary) and the Executive Office of the
President.[1] In a more narrow sense, the term may also be used to
describe agencies that, while constitutionally part of the executive
branch, are independent of presidential control, usually because the
president's power to dismiss the agency head or a member is limited.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/27/2017 08:40 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

[snip]

Just think of your recycling bin as your delete key.

Something is wrong when about 80% of my mail goes directly to the
recycling bin. I already have more address labels than I use.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It was well known how profitable this fable of Christ has been to us."
- Pope Leo X (as reported by Rev. Tavlor in the Diegesis)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/2017 11:41 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/27/2017 08:40 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

[snip]

Just think of your recycling bin as your delete key.

Something is wrong when about 80% of my mail goes directly to the
recycling bin. I already have more address labels than I use.

Many of us have that situation. The "real" mail has been replaced by
the internet. I no longer get bank statements, credit card statements,
utility bills in the mail. I have two main sources of income and they
direct deposit and for the seldom check, even that is deposited with my
phone.

I do get the occasional birthday card though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

It just seems wrong for junk mail to be included with a piece of official
correspondence from a government agency.

IIRC, you can opt out of the offers when you sign up for the address
change online. In any case, given that there is a small charge for this
service, perhaps it's not so bad that commercial advertising picks up
some of the cost?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Do yourself a favor and stop trying. You're only embarrassing yourself
further.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/17 12:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Many of us have that situation. The "real" mail has been replaced by
the internet. I no longer get bank statements, credit card statements,
utility bills in the mail. I have two main sources of income and they
direct deposit and for the seldom check, even that is deposited with my
phone.

I do get the occasional birthday card though.

I bet you get more of those each calendar year as time goes by too.
The steps to your house are