Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Correspondence from a friend of Bradford Howland, and words from Howland himself - The Howland Current Pump Circuit.pdf

I just received this correspondence via today's E-mail. See also the
attachment.

=========

From: Brian Carless
Subject: From Web Site and Bradford Howland
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:43:30 -0500

Mr. Thompson,

About a year ago you hosted an on-line discussion that tried to find
the papers at the origins of the Howland Circuit. The discussion was
passed on to Brad by one of his nephews.

Bradford Howland is alive and well and living in Madison, WI. I am
writing this because Brad doesn't currently have a computer and has no
plans to get one either. He experimented with them in the 80's and
decided they were not worth the effort.

Brad is flattered and (not so) secretly pleased that people are still
interested in his work. My background is in the social sciences so I
can't translate all of what he says but the following is something
that Brad wrote about the "H" circuit. I am writing from a MAC and so
I don't know how well it will translate into your PC world. If you
are interested and have any trouble I will do my best to translate.

I will pass on correspondence to Brad if you want or send any response
to him at:

Bradford Howland
Apt. 125
Normandy Apts.
4715 Sheboygan Ave.
Madison, WI 53705

Best Wishes
Brian Carless

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Attached Files
File Type: pdf The Howland Current Pump Circuit.pdf (11.3 KB, 749 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

From: Brian Carless
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:43:30 -0500

[...]

....not smart enough?
What a wise-ass.
Possible come-back: i would like to see you do any better!
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:54:11 GMT, Robert Baer
Gave us:

From: Brian Carless
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:43:30 -0500

[...]

I think his non-response is far better.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:59:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
Gave us:

I just received this correspondence via today's E-mail. See also the
attachment.

Isn't it a quite delayed response?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 02:34:18 -0700, SuperM
SuperM@ssiveBlackHoleAtTheCenterOfTheMilkyWayGala xy.org wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:59:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
Gave us:

I just received this correspondence via today's E-mail. See also the
attachment.

Isn't it a quite delayed response?

Did you bother reading?

Brian Carless said that the information was passed on to Howland by a
nephew.

Howland's note says he was hired by Jerry Wiesner (RLE, later to be
President, of MIT) in _1950_.

So let's guess that Howland's minimum age was 22 at that point in
time.

So Howland's present MINIMUM age is 79.

At that age he probably has to work at writing letters ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 02:34:18 -0700, SuperM
SuperM@ssiveBlackHoleAtTheCenterOfTheMilkyWayGala xy.org wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:59:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
Gave us:

I just received this correspondence via today's E-mail. See also the
attachment.

Isn't it a quite delayed response?

Did you bother reading?

Brian Carless said that the information was passed on to Howland by a
nephew.

Howland's note says he was hired by Jerry Wiesner (RLE, later to be
President, of MIT) in _1950_.

So let's guess that Howland's minimum age was 22 at that point in
time.

So Howland's present MINIMUM age is 79.

At that age he probably has to work at writing letters ;-)

...Jim Thompson

So Jim,

Was this request caused by your guilt at telling Howland
he wasn't smart enough to have invented the H-Circuit? ;-) ;-) ;-)

-Chuck
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:14:52 -0400, Chuck Harris
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Wasn't me, I didn't get to MIT until the Fall of 1958.

The opposite happened to me when I first went to Motorola... an old
fart told me that my harmonic mixer design couldn't possibly be
working ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:48:13 -0700, Jim Thompson
Gave us:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 02:34:18 -0700, SuperM
SuperM@ssiveBlackHoleAtTheCenterOfTheMilkyWayGal axy.org wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:59:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
Gave us:

I just received this correspondence via today's E-mail. See also the
attachment.

Isn't it a quite delayed response?

Did you bother reading?

Of course, dufus. I read it all.

The guy that called him "mot smart enough" is the guy that isn't all
that bright.

Brian Carless said that the information was passed on to Howland by a
nephew.

I read it. No need to reiterate.

Howland's note says he was hired by Jerry Wiesner (RLE, later to be
President, of MIT) in _1950_.

So let's guess that Howland's minimum age was 22 at that point in
time.

So Howland's present MINIMUM age is 79.

At that age he probably has to work at writing letters ;-)

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of having a LOT of fan
mail.

My question wasn't derrogatory.

...Jim Thompson

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:14:52 -0400, Chuck Harris
Gave us:

Was this request caused by your guilt at telling Howland
he wasn't smart enough to have invented the H-Circuit? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Do YOU bother to read anything? Jim said no such thing.

wink wink your ass.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:15:33 -0700, Jim Thompson
Gave us:

The opposite happened to me when I first went to Motorola... an old
fart told me that my harmonic mixer design couldn't possibly be
working ;-)

Try to buy an HF mixer these days that doesn't work that way... hehe

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:44:38 -0700, SuperM
SuperM@ssiveBlackHoleAtTheCenterOfTheMilkyWayGala xy.org wrote:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:48:13 -0700, Jim Thompson
Gave us:

[snip]

So Howland's present MINIMUM age is 79.

At that age he probably has to work at writing letters ;-)

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of having a LOT of fan
mail.

I doubt that the _typical_ lurker here has _any_ clue about what the
Howland "pump" was all about.

My question wasn't derogatory.

Apology accepted!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:11:28 -0700, Jim Thompson
Gave us:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:44:38 -0700, SuperM
SuperM@ssiveBlackHoleAtTheCenterOfTheMilkyWayGal axy.org wrote:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:48:13 -0700, Jim Thompson
Gave us:

[snip]

So Howland's present MINIMUM age is 79.

At that age he probably has to work at writing letters ;-)

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of having a LOT of fan
mail.

I doubt that the _typical_ lurker here has _any_ clue about what the
Howland "pump" was all about.

I'm sure the wheatstone bridge section was the key. Something about
summing junctions, perhaps...

My question wasn't derogatory.

Apology accepted!

I was letting you know about your error in assessing my statements.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

SuperM wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:14:52 -0400, Chuck Harris
Gave us:

Was this request caused by your guilt at telling Howland
he wasn't smart enough to have invented the H-Circuit? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Do YOU bother to read anything? Jim said no such thing.

wink wink your ass.

Who said he did?

I think the better question would be: Do *YOU* bother to read anything?

Read the last paragraph of Howland's note again for a clue... Then slap
your forehead and say, "Doh!"

Of course, you would have to know a little bit about Jim Thompson to
understand my reference.

-Chuck
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:17:57 -0400, Chuck Harris
Gave us:

You said THIS:

"Was this request caused by your guilt at telling Howland"

He told him no such thing. I read just fine.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

From: Brian Carless
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:43:30 -0500

Mr. Thompson,

About a year ago you hosted an on-line discussion that tried to find
the papers at the origins of the Howland Circuit. The discussion was
passed on to Brad by one of his nephews.

Bradford Howland is alive and well and living in Madison, WI. I am
writing this because Brad doesn't currently have a computer and has no
plans to get one either. He experimented with them in the 80's and
decided they were not worth the effort.

Not worth the effort. Cool! Reminds me of Bob Widlar's "Mexican computer".

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

From: Brian Carless
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:43:30 -0500

[...]

Perhaps "Mr. Philbrick saw fit to give me the credit."

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.Â*Â*