Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Shed

I am trying to find some answers as it relates to having an 8 x 8 wood shed built in my back yard.

When I moved into my home 12 years ago, I had a hot tub and concrete slab removed. This is where I would like to install the new shed.
The hot tub had a 50 amp 240 volt dedicated circuit hooked up to this hot tub. I had a qualified electrician disconnect this circuit, and the fuses are turned off on the electrical/fuse box. This circuit would need to be turned back on if someone ever decided to add a hot tub in that spot again. I also have a key that would need to be used in order to activate that circuit. The electrician capped off that circuit.

My question is: can I safely hire someone to build a shed over this dead circuit/conduit? Is it safe? I do know how deep the conduit
is underneath the ground or how deep the shed foundation would have to be dug into the ground.

Unfortunately this electrician has retired.

I am hoping this makes sense and that someone can help.

Thank you!

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 May 2017 13:22:46 -0700 (PDT), Kate
wrote:

[...]

No way to know for sure, but I bet you can find that "capped" off line
without too much work. It might be only a few inches down. If I were
you, I would connect it to an outlet in the new shed, so I can used if
needed. It can be split into 120 volt circuits for lighting or a
regular outlet to use for battery chargers for cordless tools, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a larger shed that is set up for lights, etc. I will not wire this shed. It is basically to store my Lawnmower and patio furniture in.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 May 2017 14:10:17 -0700 (PDT), Kate
wrote:

I have a larger shed that is set up for lights, etc. I will not wire this shed. It is basically to store my Lawnmower and patio furniture in.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks!

I'd build the shed on the pad and not worry about power, assuming the
wires are not connected to a breaker in the panel or a fuse box. Where
is the harm if the pad is stable and can support the shed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I believe the wires are connected to the fuse box. I have a key type device that needs to be inserted into a metal box outside, mounted on my home.
The electrician simply capped the end that was wired into the hot tub and buried it underground, where the hot tub used to sit.

There are two breaker switches inside of my fuse box that are turned off. I am betting that if I sold my home, someone could place another hot tub there, dig up the conduit wiring, insert the key into the 240 volt circuit box installed on the side of my house and be back in business.

I am just trying to figure out if I can have a shed built over this disconnected and capped conduit.

Just wondering if I need to hire an electrician, or if it is safe to just install a shed over it. I would hope ghe shed base would not have to be set too far into the ground where they would hit the conduit causing danger.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a larger shed that is set up for lights, etc. I will not wire this shed. It is basically to store my Lawnmower and patio furniture in.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks!

I'd build the shed on the pad and not worry about power, assuming the
wires are not connected to a breaker in the panel or a fuse box. Where
is the harm if the pad is stable and can support the shed?

She said in her first post that she had the tub AND the pad removed
.... so IMO she does need to locate that "dead" conduit . Also IMO she
needs to bring it up into the shed , even if it's just capped off Who
knows , a new owner might want power there .

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2017 4:53 PM, Kate wrote:
I believe the wires are connected to the fuse box. I have a key type device that needs to be inserted into a metal box outside, mounted on my home.
The electrician simply capped the end that was wired into the hot tub and buried it underground, where the hot tub used to sit.

That "key" is called a disconnect .

There are two breaker switches inside of my fuse box that are turned off. I am betting that if I sold my home, someone could place another hot tub there, dig up the conduit wiring, insert the key into the 240 volt circuit box installed on the side of my house and be back in business.

I am just trying to figure out if I can have a shed built over this disconnected and capped conduit.

Just wondering if I need to hire an electrician, or if it is safe to just install a shed over it. I would hope ghe shed base would not have to be set too far into the ground where they would hit the conduit causing danger.

Thanks for your help

IMO you should bring that service up into the shed , even if you
don't use it . Another owner down the road might want power there ...
might be a selling point .
--
Snag
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 May 2017 14:53:40 -0700 (PDT), Kate
wrote:

I am just trying to figure out if I can have a shed built over this disconnected and capped conduit.

Just wondering if I need to hire an electrician, or if it is safe to just install a shed over it. I would hope ghe shed base would not have to be set too far into the ground where they would hit the conduit causing danger.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not an electrician. If the wire is not connected to a breaker
panel or fuse box, pull the wire out of the conduit and not worry. We
don't know how the wire was teminated/capped at the pad.

Sit the shed on the pad if it fits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Excellent point. But, if I decided not to do that, can I just build over the conduit and have it be safe, even if the wires may be connected to the breaker box? The fact that the electrician told me to keep the disconnect key in case I decided to put another hot tub there indicates, to me anyway, that the wires are still connected to the breaker box. He is the one who switched the fuse box switches to "Off".

Is it dangerous to just build over the conduit if I cannot find it?

Maybe I need to hire an electrician as I do want this to be done right.

Happy to see that this great informative group is still here. I have not posted in a long time.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 May 2017 17:29:05 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

She said in her first post that she had the tub AND the pad removed

My bad, thinking the pad was still there. Pull the wire out of the
conduit, start over and have no worry unless she wants future power in
a new shed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do I need an electrician to do this, or could a handymab safely do it? Sorry to be so dense.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It's locked off. The 8X8 shed will not have a deep foundation, if any
at all, so just build it. To be safe I'd either disconnect the wires
at the breakers, or lock out the breakers as well as the external
disconnect - or have the wires disconnected at the outside disconnect
as well. Actually, if it was me I'd bring the wires into a junction
box in the shed so you know where they are in the future, and still do
the disconnect/lockout thing if not using the power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/14/2017 03:10 PM, Kate wrote:
I have a larger shed that is set up for lights, etc. I will not wire this shed. It is basically to store my Lawnmower and patio furniture in.

Is there a building code that requires a foundation? I'd just put it on
4x4 pressure treated lumber skids. That way if you ever want to move it
you can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/17 3:22 PM, Kate wrote:
[...]

There are wire locators/fault finders that can locate
underground circuits. The locator should pinpoint the location
and come pretty close on the depth.
Snag's suggestion of bringing the wire into the shed sounds good.
You should be able to find an electrician that has a wire locator.I don't
know if a regular metal detector would do you any good. It might if the
wire is in metal conduit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 10:12:20 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 5/14/17 3:22 PM, Kate wrote:
[...]

Do they work for circuits through which no current can flow? She said
that they "capped off" that circuit. I assume that means that the underground
ends of the wires have wire nuts on them so even if she connects the circuit
at the panel, no current will flow.

Snag's suggestion of bringing the wire into the shed sounds good.
You should be able to find an electrician that has a wire locator.I don't
know if a regular metal detector would do you any good. It might if the
wire is in metal conduit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/17 3:22 PM, Kate wrote:
[...]

They will work as long as a voltage van be applied - no load or
current required. The line DOES need to be energized.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/17 10:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 10:12:20 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

There are wire locators/fault finders that can locate
underground circuits. The locator should pinpoint the location
and come pretty close on the depth.

Do they work for circuits through which no current can flow? She said
that they "capped off" that circuit. I assume that means that the underground
ends of the wires have wire nuts on them so even if she connects the circuit
at the panel, no current will flow.

Ours have their own transmitters. The wires have to be
deenergized before the
transmitter is connected. One has a clamp that can be hooked around the
conduit.
It can also be set on the ground above the wires if one has an idea
where one end is.
The fault finders are made specifically for locating bad wires that
can't carry current to
its intended destination.
I don't know about the locators used by the pro utility locator
companies. Those must operate with everything in operation.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

Default KATE TALKS ABOUT A "New Shed"

On 5/14/2017 1:22 PM, Kate wrote:
I am trying to find some answers as it relates to having an 8 x 8 wood shed built in my back yard.

When I moved into my home 12 years ago, I had a hot tub and concrete slab removed. This is where I would like to install the new shed.
The hot tub had a 50 amp 240 volt dedicated circuit hooked up to this hot tub.

I usually avoid hot tubs, on account I always go pee in that hot water.
Probably cuz I'm an old **** now and my bladder is looser.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 May 2017 13:22:46 -0700 (PDT), Kate wrote
in

My question is: can I safely hire someone to build a shed over this dead circuit/conduit? Is it safe?

Yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

IMO, you should either bring the wires up into the new shed, or you should pull the wires back through the conduit and discard.

Here's why.

Over time water, bugs, rodents, etc. may cause any connections in that conduit to degrade. You might need power someday and it won't work, and trouble shooting later is much harder.

But also, sooner or later somebody will hit that conduit digging, and nobody will remember what it's for. If it has wires in it, they have to trace them and make sure they're not feeding an iron lung or something. If it's empty they can just drive on.

Really, leaving anything in the ground you don't need is a bad idea. You've already proved that - you don't know exactly where the end is, how deep it is, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 6:49:43 PM UTC-4, Kate wrote:
Excellent point. But, if I decided not to do that, can I just build over the conduit and have it be safe, even if the wires may be connected to the breaker box? The fact that the electrician told me to keep the disconnect key in case I decided to put another hot tub there indicates, to me anyway, that the wires are still connected to the breaker box. He is the one who switched the fuse box switches to "Off".

Is it dangerous to just build over the conduit if I cannot find it?

Maybe I need to hire an electrician as I do want this to be done right.

Happy to see that this great informative group is still here. I have not posted in a long time.

Thanks!

If you're going to build a shed over it and completely abandon it,
then it should be permanently disconnected at the house side, at
the panel, or at least at the disconnect box, which it sounds like
you have. Can a handyman do it? Depends on the handyman. It's
a very simple job for anyone knowledgeable about working on panels
and electric circuits. Is it legal for a handyman to do it? Depends
on the state laws.

If I were the first electrician, I would have either done that or
left the far end above ground, suitably terminated in a simple box.
Which is still an option, if you want the possibility of having another
spa there at some point in the future. Find the cable, bring it above
ground at a suitable spot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Everyone,

A million thanks for all of your help. It is very much appreciated. Just an update on my project.

I called about whether or not I need a permit to build an 8 x 8' shed in an area of my back yard. I was told no, but that someone would have to come out to inspect the setbacks. A nice guy came out, and this size shed is out of the question as I have to be 5 feet away from my neighbor's fence. My back yard is curved, so if the inspector would have gone around the corner, he would have seen that my neighbor's shed is against my property line, and in fact, the overhang of his shed is on my property. I have known this, but it does not bother me. The inspector said this has something to with the fire trucks. I also have a large shed, built before I bought this home, and it is only 3-1/2 feet from this neighbor's fence. Sure hope I don't have to move it some day. What a headache.

My plan is to hire a carpenter and build a 6 x 7 shed. I just want it to store an extra lawnmower so I don't have to wheel it from the front yard to the back yard every time I mow. It just makes life easier for me. It will also be used to store patio cushions, etc. during the winter.

I have not decided what to do with the old conduit/electical from the hot tub that was removed, but got great ideas from all of you.

I have not talked to the guy who will build this small shed for me yet, but does a 7 pointed roof sound around right? I want to be able to stand up in it, and yet
make the shed looked balanced.

Again, thanks!

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2017 12:43 AM, Kate wrote:
[...]

Google shed then click the images tab

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 12:43:27 AM UTC-4, Kate wrote:
I have not talked to the guy who will build this small shed for me yet, but does a 7 pointed roof sound around right? I want to be able to stand up in it, and yet
make the shed looked balanced.

Again, thanks!

Kate

7 foot at the top will look balanced but you won't be able to stand up. 7 foot at the walls would be okay.

My neighbor built a small shed, maybe 6x6, with a tall roof, probably 10 feet. It looked funny to me, but he explained he copied a colonial smokehouse and it was actually historically correct. Once explained it looked okay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/15/2017 10:43 PM, Kate wrote:
My plan is to hire a carpenter and build a 6 x 7 shed. I just want it to store an extra lawnmower so I don't have to wheel it from the front yard to the back yard every time I mow. It just makes life easier for me. It will also be used to store patio cushions, etc. during the winter.

Have you looked at some of the resin sheds like

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Palram-6-...3388/206288179

I've had a larger one for about ten years and it proved to be durable
even under snow load. They are quite easy to assemble compared to the
Arrow style sheet metal varieties. Depending on size they're under $500.
You would spend almost that for just the materials for a wood shed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 May 2017 05:16:46 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 12:43:27 AM UTC-4, Kate wrote:
I have not talked to the guy who will build this small shed for me yet, but does a 7’ pointed roof sound around right? I want to be able to stand up in it, and yet
make the shed looked balanced.

Again, thanks!

Kate

7 foot at the top will look balanced but you won't be able to stand up. 7 foot at the walls would be okay.

My neighbor built a small shed, maybe 6x6, with a tall roof, probably 10 feet. It looked funny to me, but he explained he copied a colonial smokehouse and it was actually historically correct. Once explained it looked okay.

My sged is 10X10X 8 ft high with a 15X15 roof skewed to give 4 ft
overhang on 2 sides. This was to provide cover over the entrance,
allow hanging a 15 foot canoe under roof along one side, and provide
storage room in the "loft" The roof is about 5 feet high from eaves to
peak. Looks a bit funny, but hides behind the garage somewhat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 May 2017 09:41:15 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I have not decided what to do with the old conduit/electical from the
hot tub that was removed, but got great ideas from all of you.

I have not talked to the guy who will build this small shed for me yet, but does a 7? pointed roof sound around right? I want to be able to stand up in it, and yet
make the shed looked balanced.

I don't know what they call the roof type, but you may want to look at
what I call a pyramid roof. The type that goes up from each side. It
may be called a hip roof. It may or may not take a square building to
do that type.

Have you checked out any of the pre built buildings ? There may be
different rules for them vers a building that is built on a foundation.

Most bylaws allow a certain footprint (usually up to 100 sq ft) with
no permit AS LONG AS IT HAS NO PERMANENT FOUNDATION. It has to be a
"temporary structure"
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I would think that you could buy a pre-built one from a local company
HD, etc for substantially less than paying to build one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 10:49:51 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 16 May 2017 09:41:15 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

ROFL. Like Clare knows what the local ordinances and any bylaws
allow for most of the country.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 May 2017 21:43:22 -0700 (PDT), Kate
wrote:

[...]

I'd ask the code/permit office if building a 'permanent' shed would
change you property taxes. Depends on where you live. As one poster
stated, having a shed on skids would be easy to move if necessary.

Same image examples: https://tinyurl.com/lgo6meo
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 9:48:41 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 05/15/2017 10:43 PM, Kate wrote:
My plan is to hire a carpenter and build a 6 x 7 shed. I just want it to store an extra lawnmower so I don't have to wheel it from the front yard to the back yard every time I mow. It just makes life easier for me. It will also be used to store patio cushions, etc. during the winter.

Have you looked at some of the resin sheds like

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Palram-6-...3388/206288179

I've had a larger one for about ten years and it proved to be durable
even under snow load. They are quite easy to assemble compared to the
Arrow style sheet metal varieties. Depending on size they're under $500.
You would spend almost that for just the materials for a wood shed.

Not if you are in the right place at the right time.

I paid ~$400 total for this 8' x 8' shed:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Handy-Hom...62-1/203814577

Open box, shed parts on a pallet. $250.
Open packages of shingles, 3/4" PT ply for the floor, other assorted
odds & ends, ~$150.

The manager had just finished stacking all the parts. Hadn't even put a
price on it yet. She said 3, I said 2, we settled on $250...and she helped
me load it into my trailer. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Mine's not on skids and would be a real bugger to move, but it has no
foundation.
Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2017 5:29 PM, roach wrote:
On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 7:51:12 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 7:07:02 AM UTC-6, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 5/14/2017 1:22 PM, Kate wrote:
I am trying to find some answers as it relates to having an 8 x 8 wood shed built in my back yard.

When I moved into my home 12 years ago, I had a hot tub and concrete slab removed. This is where I would like to install the new shed.
The hot tub had a 50 amp 240 volt dedicated circuit hooked up to this hot tub.

I usually avoid hot tubs, on account I always go pee in that hot water.
Probably cuz I'm an old **** now and my bladder is looser.

I think you should continue to avoid hot tubs and build and outdoor shatter instead.

might i suggest emptying the bladder and bowels before entry?

that should solve the problem!

anyway, i've just heard the kids do it all the time.... :-/// (i believe it don't ask me why)

I never said I had a bowel problem. Chekky started all that ****.

Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,alt.home.repair

Checkmate! In article ,
says...

On 5/14/2017 1:22 PM, Kate wrote:
I am trying to find some answers as it relates to having an 8 x 8? wood shed built in my back yard.

When I moved into my home 12 years ago, I had a hot tub and concrete slab removed. This is where I would like to install the new shed.
The hot tub had a 50 amp 240 volt dedicated circuit hooked up to this hot tub.

I usually avoid hot tubs, on account I always go pee in that hot water.
Probably cuz I'm an old **** now and my bladder is looser.

I think you should continue to avoid hot tubs and build and outdoor shatter instead.

might i suggest emptying the bladder and bowels before entry?

that should solve the problem!

anyway, i've just heard the kids do it all the time.... :-/// (i believe it don't ask me why)

I never said I had a bowel problem. Chekky started all that ****.

What about your frequent "****splat Reports"? But that's okay... *I'M*
the bad guy...

--